You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

User variables in Export persona don't seem to work

Stokestack

Hi all.

I'm performing a very common task: exporting a bunch of PNGs to use as button icons in iOS. I have four versions of the button for the various states it can be in, and an export slice for each. The slices are named appropriately: enabled, enabled_on, disabled, disabled_on.

buttonExportSetup.thumb.png.525676dcce598aa0792d125854809072.png

I use this file as a template. When I export, I want all the filenames to start with the name of the button. In the output-filename dialog, you can create a user variable; one would think this is exactly the type of situation you'd want one for.

But the user variable doesn't show up anywhere else:

exportUserVariableMissing.thumb.png.e86fb405918b557d730edddddbe75b01.png

Is this a known bug? This is Designer 1.8.4 under Mac OS 10.15.6.

Good news!  Thanks!

I'm wondering, though, why there's no way to specify the filename format at the parent level of this whole dialog. Are we seriously going to have to go into every export variant of every slice and insert the user variable? We should at the very least be defining the output filename format in the Path field, not the individual resolutions.

But really we should be able to define the filename format for all exports, at the level above all of the slices.

9 hours ago, Stokestack said:

Good news!  Thanks!

I'm wondering, though, why there's no way to specify the filename format at the parent level of this whole dialog. Are we seriously going to have to go into every export variant of every slice and insert the user variable? We should at the very least be defining the output filename format in the Path field, not the individual resolutions.

But really we should be able to define the filename format for all exports, at the level above all of the slices.

Just FYI, you din’t actually have to go into each export line and change them individualy. Instead I find it easier to define the export settings in one slice and use the copy/paste buttons at the top of that panel to apply these settings to the rest of the slices.