You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I made an account specifically to request this as it's a very important feature to me, and currently the only thing tying me to Adobe.

I work with 3d models and textures a lot. As such, I spend a lot of time creating and editing files in the .dds file format. Too much time to go out and externally convert the files each time I want to make a change. Photoshop doesn't have native support for this file format either but there are a couple of plugins that allow the usage of it. Namely the one from intel and two from nvidia. I know affinity photo does have photoshop plugin support but everything that I've seen points to Affinity Photo not supporting these specific plugins so I was wondering. Would it be at all possible for .dds support to be added at some point, and if not natively. Would it be possible to get any of these plugins to work. Ultimately I like the look of Affinity photo but I just cant use it without this file format being available unfortunately.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Ah, I see this has already been requested. A couple of times it seems too. Do you know if there has been any official statement regarding it? I haven't seen anything but maybe I missed it.

Because as of right now, lack of DDS support is really all that's stopping me from buying Affinity Photo.

Edited by HeinzBBQ

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/27/2020 at 8:41 AM, HeinzBBQ said:

Yeah, unfortunately. Most games at this point are using .dds. Which is a perfectly fine file format but Affinity seems to have no desire to support it. Which means I'm stuck with adobe, and I imagine so are you I'm afraid.

Also need dds support for games modding. Come on, Affinity!

1 hour ago, GODLIKE99KINGZ said:

will photoshop plugin work in Affinity ?

You can’t use file format plugins in Affinity Photo. It only supports ‘effects’ plugins.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, donka said:

Any official word on this Affinity?

Serif usually does not respond to requests for functions.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 2 months later...

Another one here looking for DDS.

Currently I'm trying to create Sky Boxes for a space game I'm working on (using the Spacescape program to generate starfield images - which exports DDS).

With Unreal Engine 5, Unity, Godot and, Blender, YES, DDS is a very important checkmark for Affinity to have at this point in time, especially with the extremely powerful capabilities of all these game engines, and graphics programs.

-Will

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I use the free Paint app but it adds additional steps and time to the process as well as additional conversion points. I love Affinity Photo but surprised at the lack of some export options that plenty free tools support. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

would be really nice to have more insight on this, especially with the rate that dds file format is being more preferred with game engines and renderers. it also is great to be able to manipulate mipmaps and its a shame to not see dds being supported, or even discussed higher up.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...