You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Topaz Plugins slower to open in latest Affinity Photo version

Whilst they are working, It seems to me that Topaz plugins are much slower to open in Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 than they were in previous Affinity Photo versions and they are certainly much slower to open from Affinity Photo than when used as plugins from other host editors.

As an example:

On my PC, it takes 16 to 17 secs from the selection of the plugins (Denoise AI v2.2.9, or Sharpen AI v2.1.5) to when the image is open in their screen, where as it takes only 4 to 5 seconds when they are used as plugins from ACDsee Photo Studio Ultimate 2020.  Test image 4034 x 3026px JPG.

PC details are Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX1050ti 4GB Graphics adapter.  Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, v1909 build 18363.1049

I've tried resetting the links to the plugins in Affinity.

Is this a known issue, and/or does anyone have any suggestions that might reduce the opening times.

Photoshop plugins.jpg

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe

• Staff

Hi @Greyfox,

Thanks for your report!

I've checked with our developers and although no specific changes were made to the way we load/use Plugins in the latest version, this may certainly be an unintentional result from a different fix so I'm going to be looking into this further with our QA team.

Is it only Topaz plugins that you've experienced this issue with? Any further information you can provide here will help our testing and reporting to the developers.

Many thanks in advance!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

8 hours ago, Dan C said:

Is it only Topaz plugins that you've experienced this issue with? Any further information you can provide here will help our testing and reporting to the developers.

Hi @Dan C

The only plugin I have other than Topaz is Luminar 4 and the difference in opening time for that between Affinity Photo and ACDSee Photo Studio Ultimate 2020 is not quite so pronounced (14 seconds versus 9) as for the Topaz ones.

The Topaz AI plugins at the moment seem to be being updated every second day, which introduces another variable, however the older Topaz plugiins (Denoise 6, Remask 5, Adjust 5) which have not changed for a long time are also taking up to 5 times longer to open in the current version of Affinity Photo than they do in Photo studio Ultimate.

I'm hoping to get some time later today, and I intend to install some of the older versions of Affinity Photo and to do some comparisons.

On 9/2/2020 at 9:31 AM, Greyfox said:

Whilst they are working, It seems to me that Topaz plugins are much slower to open in Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 than they were in previous Affinity Photo versions and they are certainly much slower to open from Affinity Photo than when used as plugins from other host editors.

Hi @Dan C

Well this is rather embarrassing.  The second part of the above statement is correct (in so far as the editor mentioned in the example is concerned), however despite my feeling that the plugins were taking longer to open in the latest version of Affinity Photo, my tests today showed there was actually no significant difference in the opening times of the various plugins between 3 earlier versions of Affinity Photo and that in the current 1.8.5.703 version.

Each time in the table below was the best of three opening times of each plugin from the particular version of the software, and taken from the time the plugin was selected to when the image appeared in the plugin.

Comparison Times.jpg

• Staff

Many thanks for all the information provided, this is certainly helpful!

I can confirm that a member of our team internally has actually reported the same issue with Plugins in 1.8.5, with Silver Efex from the NIK collection taking much longer to load than it did previously, so although your figures might show a different story immediately, more investigation is required here.

Equally, I can see the rather large difference between Affinity and Photoshop in this regard and I believe we can improve this to more closely match the Photoshop experience. I will ensure this testing is also done within our QA team, and we'll report everything back to our devs, so that it can hopefully be improved in the future :) 

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)