You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copy-paste issue

In illustrator one could directly copy some content of a file, and paste as picture in most other programs.
When hitting STRG+Copy in Affinity designer, then trying to paste into another program affinity designer silently closes.
This is in my opinion not the wanted behaviour, and therefore I consider this a bug.

1.according to the figure I use the latest version, (1.8.5 [703]).
2. yes I can multiple times.

3. not in a file created with AD, but with Illustrator.
copied the relevant 2 boxes into this new document....

For further things please enquire
thanks JK

Unbenannt.afdesign

• Staff

Hi dschief001,

Do you have Windows Clipboard History enabled, or any other form of clipboard utility?

There is a known crash that can happen when copying items to the clipboard when using Windows Clipboard History/other clipboard utilities. If I go to Settings > System > Clipboard and enable Clipboard History then as soon as I copy those objects Designer will crash. However with this off I can copy and paste into Illustrator without a problem!

On 9/2/2020 at 10:56 AM, Sean P said:

Hi dschief001,

Do you have Windows Clipboard History enabled, or any other form of clipboard utility?

There is a known crash that can happen when copying items to the clipboard when using Windows Clipboard History/other clipboard utilities. If I go to Settings > System > Clipboard and enable Clipboard History then as soon as I copy those objects Designer will crash. However with this off I can copy and paste into Illustrator without a problem!

Hi I am having this problem, and frankly I am a bit in dispair, since I have about 20 pages I need to copy parts of it to a derived modified layout. Everytime I hit copy+past, it freezes and crashes. Now, reading your tip, it does not work for me on Windows, cause my clipboard history IS already off. I try 'clear', then I could at least press copy+paste shortcuts, but as soon as I attempted to go to the new document, again frozen.

Why this should be fixed on Windows not on Publisher, it is my first question. Then, if there is any workaround, I really need those pieces of layouted content to be reused in different combinations, there is no other way than copy+pasting the text blocks, they have a particular alignment, coloring, I just don't want to redo it manually ... any tip on a smarter way of doing this is also might save me from deadline misery..

Untitled.png

• Staff

Hi SGHoepfner,

I presume you're not using any other form of clipboard management software? If not could you attach a copy of the file that is crashing for you please. If you could show the objects your selecting that causes the app to crash when copying that will help us investigate.

Thanks

Thanks, no, I don't have any clipboard management software, the settings on Windows are however as indicated above, 'turned off'. The only object is the text box. Because lines have a particular alignment, and I don't want to redo it, this is the only thing I reuse - it is a multilingual project, so I have to 'combine' different languages, reusing each language individually. About the file, since it is unpublished material, a children's book, does uploading it here means it is available to all in the forum? If so I rather not, for copyright reasons.

• Staff
14 minutes ago, SGHoepfner said:

About the file, since it is unpublished material, a children's book, does uploading it here means it is available to all in the forum? If so I rather not, for copyright reasons.

In this case I've created a link to our internal Dropbox that will ensure it is not shared to every user in the forum and is limited to Serif staff only.
https://www.dropbox.com/request/lsSqiv9qTio4YleihNQr

@ Sean P, many thanks! I have just uploaded the file 6,9 is the 'source' file from where I have tried many times to copy the text boxes only to copy into file 8,5x8,5. Finally I followed a tip from forum, to 'import' the pages and then within the same file, I could copy+paste, was of course a bit messy, having 20 pages added to be deleted afterwards, but I could at least finish the assignment. As I have another 8 variations, I am happy if any success in solving the isso.

9 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Thanks for the files! 

Interestingly I cannot even open two of your files (any combination of the 3) at the same time! As soon as I open a second the application hangs. So I'm going to pass these on to development to be investigated!

THank you! I ended up uploading 1 file wrong but did not find how to delete it, Definitely the issue is between the 2 files "PTbr-Enuk". Simply put they have different sizes of the book and I was in the process of re utilizing the text blocks into the new dimensions. I still can open all files on my side, but as soon as I hit CtrlC+CtrlV is over :) Any work within a give file works, no action between files is possible.

3 hours ago, haakoo said:

Where are you copying from and where are you copying to?
In publisher you could save and open a new project for a different language and import the original as embedded file.
or insert page(s) from file through the pages panel

Thanks for the tip! the problem is that new files are under a completely different format, so I need more than saving as to reuse, the easiest to me was to work on the resizing of all pages (they are full bleed spreads), and to leverage only the text boxes. I have added all pages from file, but then I have to scroll up and down, copy pasting, then deleting the extra pages, the risk of mistakes is bigger. This is what I have done so far. I have 7 languages to create several bilingual versions. As show in the image, there is a funny spacing and a coloring I don't want to redo, nor to manipulate, best would really be capable of simply paste that language to a new base file. I can always start with 1 file and keep 1 side (language), the other however I have to add from a previous version. Does it make sense? I guess I make it to sound much more complicate :)