You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Zoom marquee disappear with AD update 1.3.5

I think that new zoom system in AD works perfectly, and I've noticed that if I select the zoom tool and press alt key, it behaves the old way (selecting a rectangle to be zoomed).

However, the same key is also used to 'un-zoom', wich is confusing. Furthermore, if I press alt key when in zoom tool, the symbol changes from '+' to '-', with no clue about the actual zoom that will be applied if I draw a rectangle.

I think it's better to use different keys for different functions, as the current behaviour is confusing. Or maybe change the zoom icon, becouse the '-' symbol doesn' suit with the current zoom behaviour.

Best regards;

Val

• Staff

Hi everyone,

We've fixed the bug that stopped you being able to access the old Zoom marquee behaviour in all tools by holding Alt/Option - that should now work in all future updates. Sorry for the inconvenience :(

The cursors in the Zoom Tool changing to show + or - depending on whether Alt/Option is held are correct behaviour, I think - it's showing you what will happen if you click - you'll either zoom in one step, or out one step. As soon as you start to drag a marquee then we shouldn't be showing the zoom out, I agree - it always zooms in to the rectangle you select so should always show zooming in cursors.

Thanks,

Matt

Please, give us a choice, because changing to ZOOM icon and then Alt+marquee is time consuming. I used to CMD+marquee so much that it made a row in my brain.

I agree completely with this. The old way was better -- in fact, it was one of the best time savers in the app. It is also <ahem> the way Photoshop & most other apps behave, & for good reason.

BTW, if you must change things like this in updates, please include that in the description of the update on the Mac App Store. I spent several hours trying to figure out what was wrong with my system when I noticed I could no longer marquee zoom unless I selected the zoom tool & held down the alt key.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi R C-R,

We have included it the the What's New in Version 1.3.5 in the Mac App Store as Zoom Tool usability improvements, but I agree that it may not be enough when there's behaviour changes to existing tools/features. I've raised this issue with the team. Thanks for your feedback.

Hi R C-R,

We have included it the the What's New in Version 1.3.5 in the Mac App Store as Zoom Tool usability improvements, but I agree that it may not be enough when there's behaviour changes to existing tools/features. I've raised this issue with the team. Thanks for your feedback.

It definitely does not seem to be enough considering that many of us do not seem to consider this to be an improvement. Speaking only for myself, it is so disruptive to my workflow that I am considering reverting to v1.3.4 from my backup drive.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7