You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi MEB

Thank you for the clarification - However I think in terms of UX, this is a flaw as the natural tendency is to drag and drop over the image. May I suggest at least to have an option to hold a certain key why dragging to signify drag & drop so the app should open it as new document.

Sam

Sam Neil: Are you talking about documents (e.g. AFPHOTO files) or images?
You first post mentions images but your latest post mentions documents.
Can you be more specific in what your requirements are as, as far as I can tell, you can get what you want just not in the way you want?

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

Sam Neil: Are you talking about documents (e.g. AFPHOTO files) or images?
You first post mentions images but your latest post mentions documents.
Can you be more specific in what your requirements are as, as far as I can tell, you can get what you want just not in the way you want?

Sorry - What I meant is the file (image) I refer to it as document. I think there is a flaw in the way Photos handles drag and drop as the normal behaviour should "Open the file (document) as new" when it is dropped in the application. If you have an image (document) opened and you drop another, it pastes it on top of the currently opened file (document) and this should not be the case and Photos should handle it as new (document) and open it rather than paste it on top of the existing one. I have just been told if I drag the image on top of the toolbar it will "Open" it - which I think flawed and unintuitive. Hope this is clear.

Photos should open each image that is dragged and dropped into it within the canvas area and not on top of the toolbar.

Just now, haakoo said:

If no document is open and you drag a file to the workspace it will open that file in the workspace
If you drag aother file to the same workspace it will add the file to the document and places it.
If you drag a file to the surrounding frame/contexttoolbar of the app, it will open a new document and will indicate you with "loading 1 document" top right of the app.

We have established that. So I have no idea what your point is...

1 minute ago, haakoo said:

You're welcome 😞

I am sorry I did not mean to sound rude but the point I am trying to make is there should a better feedback in terms of this process. I had no idea I could drag it on the toolbar. Affinity make truly amazing software and yet are let down by the most basic elements such as this or (Loading document...) to top right hand side of the toolbar. These are not good design and UI/UX practices for such a great application.

12 minutes ago, Sam Neil said:

I think there is a flaw in the way Photos handles drag and drop as the normal behaviour should "Open the file (document) as new" when it is dropped in the application.

In my case, this will slow down working with layouts! Different tasks, different logic.

What is the conclusion from this?
We need to choose the behavior in the settings.

2 minutes ago, telemax said:

In my case, this will slow down working with layouts! Different tasks, different logic.

What is the conclusion from this?
We need to choose the behavior in the settings.

I suggest assigning a key and while you hold it it will open it otherwise it will do what it currently does.

1 minute ago, Sam Neil said:

I suggest assigning a key and while you hold it it will open it otherwise it will do what it currently does.

I agree. This is a good solution!

Changing the software to remove useful existing functionality – being able to drag and drop an image to create a new layer at a specific place in an existing document – is not something I can support.
However, making the mouse pointer change to show a difference in functionality depending on where the pointer is – as mentioned above – is something I can support.
Note: Adding a key modifier to the drag/drop process will not work as the key will have to be pressed (and kept down) outside of the Affinity applications’ scope of control.

14 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Changing the software to remove useful existing functionality – being able to drag and drop an image to create a new layer at a specific place in an existing document – is not something I can support.
However, making the mouse pointer change to show a difference in functionality depending on where the pointer is – as mentioned above – is something I can support.
Note: Adding a key modifier to the drag/drop process will not work as the key will have to be pressed (and kept down) outside of the Affinity applications’ scope of control.

I disagree as most of the time when you drag the file the original window would be on top of the host application (Photos) and once you drag it over you have the focus of the application. So I do not see why pressing and holding a key would present a problem. Anyhow the cursor would definitely be very helpful.

46 minutes ago, GarryP said:

the mouse pointer change to show a difference in functionality

I have already suggested this, for example, for distinguishing the function with/without aspect ratio in the Move Tool. It is a pity that Affinity does not use such basic UI/UX principles.

48 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Adding a key modifier to the drag/drop process will not work as the key will have to be pressed (and kept down) outside of the Affinity applications’ scope of control.

Why? Pressing the modifier key is important before performing Drop action, not before Drag action, which only indicates the object with which the operation is to be performed.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

I don't know about Windows but on Macs, if you drop a file into a workspace area containing an existing canvas, artboard, or page, it is placed in that canvas, artboard, or page. If you drop it outside of a workspace area containing an existing canvas, artboard, or page (even if it is in the same workspace window or tab), it is opened as a new document.

To me this seems completely logical & intuitive. After all, a workspace area containing an existing canvas, artboard, or page defines the boundaries (or if you prefer the extent) of that document's canvas or of one of its artboards or pages, so it seems completely natural to me that dropping anything within those boundaries will be added to that document, & conversely that dropping anything outside those boundaries will not become a part of it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7