You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I've a photo with a very clear sky in Lightroom I can recover all the details on that sky but with AP (I love this app) I can't recovder as much details. Do you have an idea how to do it in AP?

Here are the exemples (I can give you the original but it's a 43 Mb NEF file...)

PS: sorry for my bad english

01-Original.pdf

02-Lightroom development.pdf

• Staff

Hi Nes61, 

Could you please try developing your Raw image with the assistant turned off? To turn off the assistant please click the butler icon at the top right of the App then un tick enable assistant. Once you have done this please restart the App and then try developing your RAW file.

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• Staff

Hi, have you tried using the Shadows and Highlights filter? (Not the Adjustment or the Shadows/Highlights in Develop, those behave differently). Using the filter will give you more powerful shadow and highlight recovery; it's available as a live filter as well so you can do it non-destructively.

Here's a video that demonstrates using the filter:

[Edit]

You should try what Callum has suggested first - make sure you're not throwing away the highlight information in Develop (the histogram would be "running into" the right hand side of the graph). Turning the assistant off will disable some tone processing that may be doing this. Also experiment with the Highlights, Blackpoint and Brightness sliders.

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

I think the problem here may be expectations as to what the shadows & highlights sliders do in develop. Moving these sliders has an effect in a different range than I personally would expect - bringing highlights down for instance I would expect to recover clouds etc., but it really affects a range that is darker. Likewise the shadows slider affects a range that isn't the deepest shadows, but (for instance) I've seen it affect a shadowed side of a face in direct sunlight while leaving much darker parts of the scene unaffected.

I was taught never to use the highlights slider in a raw convertor.  Best practice, I'm told, is to use the exposure slider to recover highlights.  This will likely make the shadows (and possibly mid-tones) too dark but that's a separate issue to be dealt with - usually with some form of manual or automated double processing.