You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Immediate CTD in 1.8.5.703 on Copy

djMot

Whether using Ctrl+C or the menu path Edit | Copy, AD immediately crashes to the desktop.  I'm copying a group of items selected by lasso, then trying to copy them.  Complexity of the designer file is minimal; rectangles and ellipses only.  The crash is reproducible every time.  

I just tried with your file and I did not have any problem. Probably something else than Designer. You should give details on your computer specs to make it easier to help you.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

@MEB

Thanks for the welcome!

Well, in fact I do run a clipboard manager.  Good call.  I use Clipboard Help & Spell.  I disabled it (actually exited the app altogether) and tried again, but still got the ctd.  That got me thinking about all the errors Excel throws whenever I try to copy something.  The copies in Excel always work, but always throws a "picture too large" error, which has to be dismissed before I can continue what I'm doing.  Frustrating.  I digress.

All of that got me thinking about Windows 10's new clipboard history feature.  So I checked and it was ON.  So I turned it OFF.  Affinity Designer was then able to copy without crashing.

So then I turned CH&S back on, and AD went back to crashing again.  CH&S has an application white/black list, so I set it to ignore Designer.exe (and crashpad_handler.exe also).  Still crashed.  I cannot explain that.  I will contact the author of CH&S for verification that his ignore list is actually working, or for his thoughts on why, when set to ignore an app, it is still interacting with it in some way. 

So for now let's just forget about CH&S.  I exited the program completely, then went back to testing only with the new Windows 10 Clipboard History feature.  When ON, Designer.exe crashes.  When OFF, it copies fine and does not crash.  So if Serif can fix whatever the issue is causing the crash with Clipboard History, I'm going to cross my fingers that it fixes all other clipboard managers, too.

• Staff

Hi djMot,
What Windows 10 and Designer versions are you running? Do you mind attaching the dmp and afdesign file that crashes when you copy certain elements to the clipboard please? I'm having trouble replicating the crash here with Windows Clipboard History turned on. By "I'm copying a group of items selected by lasso" i'm assuming you are using the Move Tool to drag a marquee selection around some vector objects (rectangles ands ellipses), correct? Thanks.

@MEB

The Designer version is in the title of this thread.

Windows version:  Windows 10 Professional,  10.0.19041 Build 19041

The video I posted shows how I am lassoing the items.

The file that crashes is already uploaded earlier in this thread; same post that contains the video.

The most recent crash file I could find is attached, but since I cannot read the file, I have no idea what it says.  In asking for this file on a public forum, I deem Serif to take responsibility for any personally identifiable information contained within.  You might want to delete it off this thread once you have downloaded it.

Thank you.