You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Elements of master reseting to original text after trying to move a page.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I am simply trying to move a single page (based on a single page master) to a new position in the book. When I do it shifts everything by a page until I can delete the excess page and everything goes back to how they were. EXCEPT that ONE of the elements from the master, the title, ends up being reset for every spread using a full (2 page) spread master. Except one...not sure why Camile's granola doesn't reset. The instructions and ingredients all SEEMs to remain untouched. It's just that title block that flips back to saying "Berry Turnover" which is the title on the master.

All I want to be able to do is add or delete a single page, but anytime I do that it shifts and breaks everything. Attached is the OG file and a video recording.

cookbook 5x8.afpub

• Staff

Hi @thothsscribe,

The problem seems to the that we don't seem to register the group as being modified(even though the contents inside the group are modified), so when you re-arrange pages, the masterpage just replaces is with the masterpage content (thinking is't not been modified). The workaround for now is to ungroup the title object. 

Yeah I figured as much. Actually switching to single page view instead of facing view disconnected my Master pages into individual ones anyways which made moving things around a lot easier. I guess what I found frustrating is there doesn't seem to be any way of moving a page somewhere without it shifting everything else first. In my case I wanted to add and remove a page so it would end up in the exact same state if was before, but the process to get that shifts and moves everything which breaks any full spread masters. 

As I use this more and more, I wonder why anyone would make full spread masters unless they were just creating a straight up standard reading book.

7 hours ago, thothsscribe said:

I guess what I found frustrating is there doesn't seem to be any way of moving a page somewhere without it shifting everything else first. In my case I wanted to add and remove a page so it would end up in the exact same state if was before, but the process to get that shifts and moves everything which breaks any full spread masters. 

Isn't such a master page shift natural if you move a single page? Then a shift will be necessary at any time, right? Or do you have a "replace page" feature in mind?

As a workaround, to avoid such a (temporary but unwanted) page shift, it can help to move an even number of pages only and only to a position before/after a spread (not in between) and then to select the two unwanted pages and delete them with 1 click. It may feel cumbersome (and may require first to "save" a copy of pages at the document's end, where no page shift can affect following pages) but this way you can avoid at least one of the shift actions. So for instance in your document move the spread 28/29 after spread 6/7, then select page 7 + 9 and delete them.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Yeah I think it inherently makes sense the shifting of pages, but it feels like there should be an option to somehow move without shifting. Maybe a Replace page or swap page would achieve my needs. But yeah the flow you described may work in the meantime. Maybe even just being able to move a page to a point, but having an empty spot next to it? Exporting in that page would just output a white page, but 99% of the time people would fill it with the page of their needs.

Thank you for your help!

Follow up bug to this related to moving pages around. Process of duplicating a page, moving deleting an old page, then trying to swap places between two pages and it completely falls apart and I have to cmd+z a number of times to get back into a functional program state. 

Expected behavior: be able to move pages around without the master and pages getting broken.