You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unable to launch Designer after installation

Hi,

I am unable to launch Affinity Designer on Windows 10 Pro after install.
Designer seems to think that I'm running Windows 7 SP1 for some reason (screenshot attached).

Any idea what's happening or is it yet again a Windows 10 feature update randomly breaking some stuff (since that seems to be a habit for Microsoft every time they release one) ?
I had no issue with designer before this 2004 feature update got installed. I still have the macOS version working so at least I'm not stuck if I absolutely need it but it would be nice if I could use it again on Windows.

Thanks in advance

designer.jpg

• Staff

Hi Henskelis,

Another user has recently reported they're getting this on Windows 10 and found that it was because they had an External GPU plugged in via USB-C. Removing this allowed the application to start.

Are you using an eGPU? Can you give us a little bit more information on what hardware your machine is using please?

Hi Sean,

I don't have an eGPU, I'm using a 2017 Dell XPS 15 with the following specifications:

• Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.80Ghz with Intel HD Graphics 630
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050
  • 16 GB of RAM (DDR4 2400MHz)

The devices connected are the following:

• 2 external HDDs (USB-A connectors)
  • 2 external displays (one connected on the HDMI port of the laptop and the other is connected through a USB-C to HDMI/USB/Ethernet/SD card adapter)

The Nvidia control panel says that Affinity Designer is using the integrated Intel graphics (auto selected by the Windows global settings). Forcing it to use the GTX 1050 doesn't change anything.

The configuration and the externals devices were already used before and there was no issue. It's the first time that I'm getting this and the only thing that changed is that the 2004 Windows 10 feature update got installed and I also installed the latest BIOS update from Dell (version 1.19.2 released on June 19th 2020).

I only have an Affinity Photo license for macOS so I can't tell you if the same problem would happen with Affinity Photo on my XPS.

• Staff

Thanks for getting back to me!

The external HDDs shouldn't be an issue, however the USB-C connected monitor is interesting. Interestingly the user I linked to above is also using a Dell XPS 15 (9560) with a eGPU connected via USB-C so I wonder if its relating to the USB-C connections.

Would you be able to try disconnecting your USB-C connected monitor, rebooting and then try to run the application up?

I just tried launching Designer without disconnecting anything and it successfully launches today so I have no idea what happened.
There hasn't been any new update from Dell or Microsoft installed.
I did reboot the laptop between Sunday and Wednesday and it was still not working on Wednesday (didn't try yesterday) but it works fine now.