You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Change light source/shadow direction on all objects

I want to change the direction of the incoming light  for all objects in my file that have an outer shadow applied. They have different offset values. 

Is there a way to change the angle in the layer effects (specifically outer shadow) for multiple objects while retaining the other values? If I select several objects and change the angle in the layer effects panel all objects get the offset value of the last selected object, thus changing the depth appearance. Is there a way to set a document wide preference to change the angle?

I have both designer and photo on a win10. (publisher on trial)

4 hours ago, Marie Elisabeth said:

If I select several objects and change the angle in the layer effects panel all objects get the offset value of the last selected object

For me (Windows) is first selected object. But an unwanted offset change is definitely a bug.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• Staff

Hi Marie,

Welcome to the forums :)

Do all of the objects share a style? Could you change the angle for one shadow create a style from it then apply it to your other objects?

Thanks

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Thank you @Callum

Some objects share style but not all of them.

And styles applies wonky in at least some of my bought psd templates. They seem to scale with object even tough it is unchecked. 

If I change the angle on one and set as a style. Then apply that style to another object that had the same numbers, the numbers change for radius and offset. It's weird. 

1st new angle.png

2nd object.png

3rd apllied style.png

There needs to be a global option for light direction and shadow direction.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 2 years later...
On 9/5/2020 at 5:13 PM, firstdefence said:

There needs to be a global option for light direction and shadow direction.

Absolutely so! It's been in Photoshop for years and years now and it's super handy to have for certain applications.

We also need Affinity to have additional instances of an applied effect so that changes in the „master“ effect will reflect in all instances of that master and we don't have to do them all separately. This – as well – has been possible in Photoshop for a long time by now.

Features as these can boost productivity quite a lot and I think that better than just being special or different [for difference’s sake] you really DO have to „learn from your enemies“ (or competitors) and eventually beat them at what they supposed were their advantages.