You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer files showing as Photo files in Windows File folder

I first bought Designer in 2018 then added Photo and Publisher i believe in 2019. I first noticed that my Designer files had the Photo Icon and extension and would not show the thumbnail view, I'm not sure when that happened.  I got a new Windows laptop last month and still had the same viewing/file issues. I did some research and discovered it could be a Onedrive issue where all of my files were stored so I downloaded all of my files to the laptop's hard drive and i could now see the thumbnails but the file extensions were still Photo not Designer. Any ideas on why?  My original files that i saved as Designer when i only had Designer are Photo and even now when I save from Designer, they are saved as Photo. I very rarely use Photo or Publisher so I'm not sure if there is any connection to or setting i need to re-set on any of these 3 programs.  Any insights are most welcome. Thank you

image.png.dddb28d1a21a5445249f9a1b03e8e734.pngimage.png.61f07b72d0b2e4801be172f34811bddc.png

So today when i opened my file folders all of my Designer files were back to the Photo Icon. I also discovered that even when the files were showing the Designer icon, when you clicked on it, it would open in Photo.  Any suggestions?  Is this a Onedrive or Affinity issue?

image.png.346b41c8309fdfa1cdbf3ac439a7c4f3.png

6 hours ago, haakoo said:

The question remains why it does on your system as it doesn't on mine?

What is happening on Donna's system that is not happening on yours? The change of icon?

I see that, too. For example,

• my .afdesign files all show the Designer icon, as they should.
  • my .afpub files all show the Publisher icon, as they should.
  • However, my .afphoto files all show the Publisher-Beta icon.

Windows will usually, I think, show the icon for the last program that registered itself to handle that type of file. As you mentioned, all three Affnity apps can open all three file extensions, but I see inconsistent handling of this.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

53 minutes ago, Aad Slingerland said:

What does the assoc command show you? 

image.png.ba841756ad028f8c60b9f6ed5ca2b0b3.png

And yet, from File Explorer:

image.png.d4b4de46a0417267e7f852a378816d57.png

When I double-click on the file, Publisher Beta starts and tries to load it.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

image.png.daceaceb7c21a166d308086402a35de6.png

-- Walt
PC:

I am not using a cleaner software that i am aware of.  I am not as techy as you all are so I'm afraid I'm not very helpful there.  I think all of this started when I downloaded the beta Publisher.  I still like the idea of the Designer/Photo/Pub working together, I just only use them casually so I haven't used that feature. I do still very much like all of the Affinity products.  As long as I can see the thumbnail I will just know to right mouse click to select which program to use to open it.  

I did go to the OneDrive help system and set all of the options to see or hide the thumbnails as noted and nothing changed. I ended up having to download all of my files to my laptops hard drive in order to see the thumbnails.  Is there a better cloud storage than OneDrive? 

• 3 weeks later...