You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where are the white balance pickers on Curves?

46 minutes ago, newdesigner said:

Hello, 

I am loving Affinity Photo, very useful and well done. Where can I find the white balance pickers in Curves? Attached is a picture of where they are in Photoshop 2020. 

Thanks. 

Curves.png

These pickers are not in Affinity Curves Adjustment. Maybe in the future.

You can adjust the Levels using Curves by moving the bottom-left and upper-right sliders inward.

However it is better to use a Layer Adjustment, Layers > New Adjustment Layer > Levels.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

The picker is for neutral grey spots in the image. 

Unfortunately nothing beats a tool like Photoshop's white/grey/black picker in the curve tool combined with alt-dragging the sliders to see where the black and white spots are. Or Adobes auto contrast/tone/color. I am not sure why the white/grey/black picker approach in curves and level dialogs is not used in Photo. 

Picker used properly in white balance + a slight lift of the curve in Photo results in this:

image.png.8afc1be223949c3e264f70b422204983.png  

Of course one has to protect the whites but this is just an example. 

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

On 8/30/2020 at 11:54 AM, John Rostron said:

You can adjust the Levels using Curves by moving the bottom-left and upper-right sliders inward.

However it is better to use a Layer Adjustment, Layers > New Adjustment Layer > Levels.

John

There are no sliders in Curves adjustment... But generally, you can adjust white balance (or more precisely, colour balance) by adjusting each RGB level separately. Curves is more flexible than Levels as you can add as many control points as you will, adjusting colour balance separately in shadows, mids and whites. And no, there unfortunately is no picker to just pick a neutral grey for reference. Colour Balance adjustment though has it.

3 minutes ago, Fixx said:

There are no sliders in Curves adjustment

You are quite right. What I should have said is "move the control points inwards".

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630