You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

newbie question: text color change in Designer in Mac

I'm a complete  newbie to Affinity and Designer and vector drawing. I've been working with simple shapes and lines and text while exploring Designer. Once GarryP helped me get started, things were going well until yesterday when my plain and/or italic text turned bright bold magenta. I did not change the color that was the default in the text-color box. I do not know what I did to make this happen, whether creating new text, or moving previously created text. I cannot get rid of this color, or the bold. New text is bold magenta, despite the color box's being black. Moving previously-created text turns that text magenta. Close that document and create a new document—the new text is magenta. Opening Designer preferences, resetting text styles to factory, still magenta. Clearly I have inadvertently changed some basic setting, but what? Where should I look now? Thanks.

10 minutes ago, mycroft said:

bright bold magenta

If you mean bold as in ‘bold text’, check that you haven’t inadvertently applied a wide magenta stroke to your black text.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

How would I have done that? I didn't knowingly use magenta at all. I was (I thought) simply creating text using the settings of plain (or italic) text with black text color, adjusting only the point size. ( I am actually using 9 pt). And how would adding a stroke  (if I did) carry over into a newly created document? I do mean bold as in "bold text". Im' attaching a newly-created doc to show what I mean. 

magenta text test doc.afdesign

2 minutes ago, mycroft said:

How would I have done that?

No idea!

2 minutes ago, mycroft said:

I do mean bold as in "bold text". Im' attaching a newly-created doc to show what I mean. 

magenta text test doc.afdesign 8.76 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks. I don’t see any sign of magenta when I load your test document here.

Alfred spacer.png

I just opened my test doc myself, and for me, as well, it is just what I wanted, plain regular black. However, when I saved it to send you, it was magenta and bold, so the magenta doesn't save. Might I have changed some  'select' options? The magenta bold appears as the text is typed, or when it is moved or adjusted in any way. And the color doesn't go away when any other object or text is selected, adjusted, created, etc. Thus the document gradually changes from the desired black to magenta. It is quite annoying. I did this in the middle of working in a document, and I simply want the behavior to stop. Previously, my text was black, plain, etc. as I wanted as I typed it, and ordinary light blue was the select color for my text objects.

Check your Snapping settings (via the horseshoe magnet on the toolbar). I suspect you have ‘Show snapping candidates’ toggled on.

Alfred spacer.png