You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm new to Affinity Designer so this might not be a bug but just a gap in my understanding. When trying to perform boolean add with text, if letters overlapped, then the middle of letters (like an o) get filled. However if I do a compound Add (option + add) the o looks correct. Attached is a screen record of the issue as well as the file. Thanks for any help or feedback

TestAD2.afdesign

The destructive Add produced an object with Winding fill mode. Layer > Fill Mode > Alternate will change that to the result you expected.

However, destructive Boolean operations in the current Affinity apps are more bug-ridden than the non-destructive Compound alternative, so you'll often need to use a Compound even when you want a destructive result. A Compound can be converted to a single Curve or Curves object by Layer > Convert To Curves.

2 hours ago, anon2 said:

However, destructive Boolean operations in the current Affinity apps are more bug-ridden than the non-destructive Compound alternative

An interesting observation! Thanks for sharing it here.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 month later...

It seems I am still having issues with this. I thought I had it figured out, but there are still some instances that have me wanting to pull my hair out.

I will attach a video and the file. I was able to successfully merge each word together with the compound add except for the word "for".

TEST Jesus is the reason for the Season.afdesign

Use Layer > Geometry > Merge Curves

image.png.094a513c1ca9c2b02af25fdd0c6df175.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Did a bit of rejigging of the layers as you had curves within curves, compounds and groups all over the place. the final result once the layers were sorted was to use Layer > Geometry > Merge curves. I had to change the fill mode to winding but once that was done it was all good.

Trojan layers
image.png.050859f61816f557068cb70cec9f631c.png

Layer > Release Compound
image.png.09b5b4d489609346fce4706cf3550774.png

Ungroup the season curves. 
image.png.c565e1377241449fc23769e727659681.png

Then select all the layers CMD (⌘) + A on Mac, (Ctrl + A On Windows) and Layer > Geometry > Merge curves

You may also have to Layer > Fill Mode: Winding (Non Zero)

Saved with history so you can jog back and forth in the history panel. 

TEST edited - Jesus is the reason for the Season.afdesign

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

9 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Did a bit of rejigging of the layers as you had curves within curves, compounds and groups all over the place. the final result once the layers were sorted was to use Layer > Geometry > Merge curves. I had to change the fill mode to winding but once that was done it was all good.

Trojan layers
image.png.050859f61816f557068cb70cec9f631c.png

Layer > Release Compound
image.png.09b5b4d489609346fce4706cf3550774.png

Ungroup the season curves. 
image.png.c565e1377241449fc23769e727659681.png

Then select all the layers CMD (⌘) + A on Mac, (Ctrl + A On Windows) and Layer > Geometry > Merge curves

You may also have to Layer > Fill Mode: Winding (Non Zero)

Saved with history so you can jog back and forth in the history panel. 

TEST edited - Jesus is the reason for the Season.afdesign

@firstdefence I thought I had figured out all of the lettering except for the "for", but it seams I actually just complicated all of them. Thank you for your help. It seems like the following steps are the way to do it.

Convert to Curves, Ungroup, Layer > Geometry > Merge Curves, and then Add

Thank you again!