You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I have problem exporting a Designer Artboard as jpg or png. It doesn't matter which size, it looks alwys blurry.

Documents is 300 DPI and I have tested with bilinear, bicubic....

Even if I create/export the graphic 2x and resize it by printing, it looks blurry.

I export now everything in pdf because it's the only way to keep the same quality I have in Designer.

Do I miss something?

Thanks for any advice.

• Staff

Hi @puntorosso,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Can you please confirm for me:

• What is the physical size of your document?
  • What format were you exporting to, other than PDF?
  • What are you doing with this export? (ie opening in another app, printing, displaying on a screen etc?)

Many thanks in advance!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Hi Dan C,

thanks for your help.

- As stated in my first message, different sizes.

- jpeg or png

- use it on websites or social medias

Sorry if my answers doesn't really help mush, but I have this blurry effect on almost every graphic I export. 

The only way to keep the same quality is to export as pdf.

Also transparent png have black backgrounds when exported from Affinity Designer.
The same graphic, exported as pdf, reimported in Photoshop and re-exported as png works fine.

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know, could you please provide a sample Affinity file here, alongside a screenshot of your export settings?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

I've put together a rough test.

Here you can download all the files (designer and jpg/pdf exports) 

https://punto-rosso.d.pr/FUONwn

And here a screenshot of what I mean

https://punto-rosso.d.pr/7yQApl

The important part is that whatever I send to print, it comes out even "blurrier" as you see in this test screenshot, especially fonts and pictures.

Thanks for your help.

I honestly have no explanation for this.

It's weirder even. If I open it in Affinity Designer, it's sharp. If I open it in Affinity Photo is ugly and pixely.
I tried rasterizing them but that didn't make any difference.

I don't understand what's going wrong here..

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Intel Core i7-4770 3.40Ghz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

Your document shows as 677 x 62 px in APhoto
The Coca cola logo has the fewest pixels of the four and displays at 23% of full size, so it can be scaled up to 100/23 = 4.34 times without losing quality, ie the document could be exported at 677 x 100 / 23 = 2943 pixels wide
The Spotify logo is 6% so 100/6 = 16.6

The attached image shows
at x4.34 everything is sharp
at x16.6 Spotify is ok but Coca Cola has pixelated

When exporting images for the web forget dpi and think in pixels, note also that you need to view an image at 100% to assess blurriness, hope that helps

testblurryAgain.png

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

@David in Яuislip Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

I create a document in designer, sized 677 x 62 px, place my graphics so that looks great at zoom "Actual Size".

Export this document as pdf = looks great
Export this document as jpg = blurry

I don't get what has to do the fact that the cola logo is smaller as the spotify one.
As long the original it's bigger than the actual size used, it should look fine.

By the way, even the Spotify logo looks better as pdf than in the jpg version.

• Staff

@puntorosso I believe this is happening due to anti-aliasing when rasterising the image at 23% of it's original size. Please try following the below steps -

I exported this out as JPEG using the (Best Quality) preset and the Coke logo is no longer blurry. I hope this helps!

8 minutes ago, puntorosso said:

As long the original it's bigger than the actual size used, it should look fine.

That's correct but without seeing your export settings I cannot comment further. What width/ height is the jpeg and how are you viewing it?

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

@Dan CThanks! That really helped.

So I have to rasterize every single added graphic, before I resize them?
I have also the feeling that text fields looks better when using your hint.

But should Affinity Designer take care automatically of the rasterizing process?

@David in ЯuislipI have tested with different export settings, but didn't help.

The width/height of the exported jpg is the same as the Designer document.

I view them in Preview (MacOS).

• Staff

No problem at all :)

12 hours ago, puntorosso said:

So I have to rasterize every single added graphic, before I resize them?

Not necessarily, however this layer was Placed into the document and we do recommend rasterising before drastically changing the size of a placed layer to ensure the preview on screen is the most 'true' to export. 

I hope this clears things up!