You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Big problems with the Divide function

PaRunk

Hello,

I raised this problem a long time ago and don't know whether it has already been worked on.

After my new attempt to work with the Divide function, I continue to get very imprecise divisions that are now even worse. At one point even the shape is not properly divided and a piece of the shape is even missing.

It would be really great if this problem could be fixed, because I use this feature a lot because I don't have the shape creation tool in Illustrator to create new shapes by combining and removing overlapping objects.

I'll attach my file when the problem occurs.
The upper group (1.) is the starting form. The lower group (2.) is the result when I used the Divide function.

In addition, after dividing, I get a number of individual small lines that are completely unnecessary and probably result from the inaccurate division. Colored this in red.

If you then try to combine the individual surfaces and then set a contour, you can see the unclean division very well. Suddenly contours appear in the surfaces where there shouldn't be any. When combining, additional empty areas are created where there was actually an area before. See result group (3.)

Divide Problem.afdesign

Thank you for your response.

Yes, I had no doubt that your development team can solve this problem. I can also understand that it is not easy to find a quick solution.

The developers are really busy and if you look at the reports in the forum, there are still several problems in all programs that they have to solve.

In addition, there are also many suggestions for improvement, requirements and requests for other functions.

I am also one of the users who supports you by uncovering problems and making suggestions for improvements and extensions.

I have been a big fan of your products for many years, because I see great potential in them and use them almost every day to implement my creative ideas.

Hello,

just discovered another problem with this feature.
I once sketched a contour here with a pencil.

After that, I converted the contours to get surfaces, which worked fine.

I then merged these into one object, which also worked.

But now comes the problem. I put another area behind my contour graphic in order to get new areas with the Divide function. That only partially worked, the upper object, which should be the contour, has now been completely disassembled, which should not be.

If I do the same work in Illustrator, the upper surfaces are used as a kind of template and are retained for the same function. Only the areas below are divided up.

I'll attach another file, with which the problem described above has occurred.

Have created two groups. The graphic above is the original version. The graphic below is the result of what was created after applying Divide. That is not the result that should arise.

Normally after applying Divide you would look the same as the graphic above, only that the bluish areas are now separate.

Pfau.afdesign

• 4 months later...

Hello Affinity Team,

just tried the Divide function again to see when the problems with the objects not being divided correctly anymore starts.

Found that with only two overlapping objects the problem does not occur, but only when you use more than two objects. at that moment the problems start and miscalculations occur with the division.

In addition, every now and then another problem occurs, that when I work completely with my graphic tablets and execute the function, that instead of a division suddenly a duplicate is created from the top object and this gets the color of the object below. If I execute the command again, but this time with the mouse, a duplicate is created again.
Only when I delete all objects and create them again with the mouse, the objects are split again.

I'll attach an additional video to show the problem with the duplicate. In the first attempt I worked with the mouse and in the second attempt I worked with the graphics tablet.