You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dividing a stroke into 3 equal lengths

Hi there,

Please see the image attached.

I have two opposite lines that are not paralell and I want 2 other lines to cross these each at 1/3 and 2/3. 

How do I measure to find the 1/3 point and 2/3 point? I tried to distribute them but because the lines aren't parallel and have different lengths, it doesn't work.

Thanks a lot!

Screenshot 2020-08-27 at 17.51.17.png

Hi,

you can try to measure the points manually with the help of some auxilliary rulers or the like.

Or measure line lengths and point positions via the transform panel, then place some markers on each line pos and afterwards adjust the crossing lines to go through the marker points.

See also the ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

22 minutes ago, charlier said:

Thanks, I took a screenshot of a ruler and got in in the program. It worked :)

The rulers are ASSETS, aka just import the assets file into your Affinity assets panel/palette. Then you can already drag the wanted type of ruler from the assets panel into your document for usage. In the doc position, arrange, rotate any ruler to your needs for measurements. - Though these rulers are initially huge in pixel dimensions (longer in size) due to their orig 1:1 cm/inch scalings.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

5 hours ago, charlier said:

How do I measure to find the 1/3 point and 2/3 point?

It is a bit cumbersome but one very accurate way uses rectangles, Transform panel resizing, & snapping to find those points:

1619161761_Findingthirdswithrectangles.jpg.b1f3fe9b282a15a9bc37eba6ad27cffa.jpg

Finding thirds with rectangles.afdesign

This method can be extended to find quarter or other points by changing 3 in Step 2 of the above to other integers (& optionally using power duplicate to create the remaining rectangles after creating the second one & snapping it to the edge of the first one).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

One can setup some own individual sized and scaled SVG ruler, which can then be import for custom reusage. This way one can generate a measurement ruler to own demands. BTW I used a similar own SVG scaling feature for my rulers, but there are also online tools which offer to do such a job.

Hint:

3 hours ago, v_kyr said:

you can try to measure the points manually with the help of some auxilliary rulers or the like.

Those ruler assets are very nice so thanks very much for sharing them, but I confess I am having trouble figuring out how to use them to accurately find the 1/3 or other dividing points on preexisting straight lines, particularly those that are not perfectly horizontal or vertical.

I find it very hard to rotate & resize the ruler to align with the line with any precision, so it all ends up being done tediously by eye.

What am I missing? :(

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

What am I missing? :(

Some interactive Affinity functions for measuring and analyzing lines as they are available in ImageJ and some of its plugins.

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

Some interactive Affinity functions for measuring and analyzing lines as they are available in ImageJ and some of its plugins.

It is because those functions are missing that I suggested the rectangle method, because it makes good use of what functions are available, & from what I can tell provides a reasonably quick & easy way to precisely locate division points on straight lines.

Affinity Photo 

12 hours ago, R C-R said:

It is because those functions are missing that I suggested the rectangle method, because it makes good use of what functions are available ...

Yes, there are several visual plain geometry construction procedures possible, also with the help of build-in grids and help lines etc. - However, all of that is unnecessary time consuming and sometimes very cumbersome. A better approach would be to offer some better functionality for line and object measurements, ideally via settable user rules etc.

Here is a quick test take for a drawn and rotatable line in either direction and how to visually indicate on that then the 1/3 and 2/3 length as magenta colored points ...

... of course it would also be possible to track and show up positioning dimensions continously, or allow to click in order to set the magenta distance points permanently ... and so on. There would be a bunch of visual and interactive manipulation things possible.

50 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

A better approach would be to offer some better functionality for line and object measurements, ideally via settable user rules etc.

I agree that greater measurement functionality is needed. I am just not sure if making it rule based is the way to go. That could too easily create the same kind of complications that can occur when using various combinations of text style rules.

Ideally, it should be something simple enough that custom user-defined rules, new tools or tool modes, & so on are not needed ... but I have no idea how that could be done.

Affinity Photo 

On 8/27/2020 at 12:02 PM, charlier said:

Hi there,

Please see the image attached.

I have two opposite lines that are not paralell and I want 2 other lines to cross these each at 1/3 and 2/3. 

How do I measure to find the 1/3 point and 2/3 point? I tried to distribute them but because the lines aren't parallel and have different lengths, it doesn't work.

Thanks a lot!

Hi @charlier
Maybe try Align/Distribute again 😉👍

My unpublished solution was to set the origin at the line intersections and muck about with guides. I didn't realise that Align/ Distribute worked on nodes.

Very clever @JimmyJack, I think that's a winner

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10