You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has found out how to easily make isometric circles or ellipses in Affinity Designer?

In Illustrator, I could draw an isometric side of a cube, and use Effects > Stylize > Round Corners and set the value to max.  When using the Rounded Corners tool in Affinity, it doesn't seem to product the same results.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Hi nametag

I would use the circle shape and snapping to the isometric grid.

Thanks Yakk.  This works for the top, but is there any way to do the sides the same way? Also, how do you use this method to get the circle to "fit" inside a rectangular grid, rather than extend beyond (see screenshot of example.. this was just eyeballed)?

post-299-0-24801900-1439996945_thumb.png

• Staff

You would get a better result if you rotate the edge of the shape onto the grid, then skew in the other axis.  The bounding box will then lie on the grid lines.  With snapping on for grids, this should be easy.

I will be adding tools for doing this automatically at some point, as well as enabling you to create Shapes in grid space.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

You would get a better result if you rotate the edge of the shape onto the grid, then skew in the other axis.  The bounding box will then lie on the grid lines.  With snapping on for grids, this should be easy.

I will be adding tools for doing this automatically at some point, as well as enabling you to create Shapes in grid space.

Thanks Ben! Having a hard time processing how this would work.  Would you mind sharing a screenshot or screen recording of this process? Thanks.

And very excited to see future isometric tools!  Affinity is already by far my favorite tool to create isometric illustrations in.

Hi nametag,

This clip is for a text object but it's exactly the same process for a shape. You just have to skew the shape/object as in the clip.

Let me know if you still have trouble.

Awesome, works perfectly MEB.  Didn't realize you could skew shapes like that (I had been trying key combinations). Thanks!

• 5 months later...

I'm converting ellipses to create curved outlines. So...I use the ellipse tool, make the shape set the fill to 0% and use outline at black 10px. lovely circle. However when I cut an ellipse  by breaking the nodes and removing the piece, I have the line...but also the remaining piece of the ellipse as an outlined as well.  All I want is the ellipse line. The Outline View Mode doesn't show them but the image/print view does? 

• Staff

Hi Paulg,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I'm not sure i understood you correctly. Any chance you can send me a screenshot of what you are seeing? (new users can't upload files directly to the forum in the beginning)

You can use this link to upload it to my Dropbox account.

If the outline you are talking about is pink, that's to indicate the object is a snapping candidate. To disable this go to menu View ▸ Snapping Manager... and uncheck Show snapping candidates.

You also said you set the fill to 0%.