You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[ Resolved ]Amending gradient on line / stroke - Designer iPad

Really struggling with this one. Questions:

(Designer - iPad)

1. How should you apply gradients to line / stroke? ( The only way I was able to achieve the illustration below was by selecting a gradient in the swatches panel/colour studio).
  2. How do you then amend the gradient?

Every time I select the gradient tool, it deselects the line.

Thank you

illustration below should make it clear what I’m trying to do.

Amend-line-gradient.jpg

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

Your screenshot shows that you have the fill button selected (at the top left-hand side of the Context toolbar). Tap on the button below that to select the stroke instead.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

New attached... questions the same...

If I next select the gradient tool, the stroke gets deselected and we end up at the 1st screenshot

Thanks @Alfred

IMG_0456.jpeg

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

Interesting... just checked in the Desktop version of Designer. In there, it behaves exactly the same... just going to double check the help on this.

Here’s what I get with the fill button selected:777E0196-100C-47CB-B530-59D6031960D7.jpeg.e5b707e397973d5dfb6f458353941fa7.jpeg

And this is what I see when I switch to the stroke button:E2F8F41A-3908-4D8B-81E1-DFD39CD2A0D5.jpeg.21b025b470e6737d99befcc440a592ce.jpeg

I can now simply tap on the existing nodes to amend them, or tap somewhere in between to add new nodes.

Alfred spacer.png

O-o-o-oh, for flippin 'eck, @Alfred. It was staring me in the face!!

I was totally focussed at the top of the screen on the Colour Studio... duh, doh. Though I did uncheck "Aspect" at the bottom... and those two buttons totally passed me by.

Thank you again @Alfred, what would I do without you, mate? I'm cooking wi' gas now!

----  ----

Started before my first cuppa this morning, brain not yet functioning - one of those days where you wake up with a new idea about how to do your project and crack on before you're fully awake. That's my excuse and sticking to it. Can you tell I feel a chump?

----  ----

I was just editing my last post when Alfred sorted me out. I was recording that when choosing the gradient tool, the bounding box disappearing is normal. It had thrown me though, and sent me off down a rabbit hole.

16 minutes ago, ProDesigner said:

Started before my first cuppa this morning, brain not yet functioning - one of those days where you wake up with a new idea about how to do your project and crack on before you're fully awake. That's my excuse and sticking to it.

752A1701-A443-4F74-B7AC-E3A50BF5D2CC.gif.a5edab4ed97169815d4f330fe03485d7.gif

Alfred spacer.png