You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Title Bar RIP ? - Feature Request: Option to bring back Titlebar

On the Mac version, can I ask what's happened to the Title bar along the top of all Affinity Apps ? Has it now become the tool bar ?
I'm hoping there's a way to get the title bar back as an option, as I find it really difficult to move the app windows around now.

Loving the apps and still not missing Illustrator, Photoshop or InDesign 🙂

Title Bar RIP.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Hi Pšenda,

thanks for the link, that’s a good tip to know if my toolbar ever vanishes. I can actually see tools on the screen, the problem is the position of them, they seem to be located where the title bar once was, making it very difficult to move the App window around the screen if it needs to be moved. (See picture on right)

I was just wondering if there is a way to get the (empty) title bar back at the very top of the window ? (See picture on left). 🙂

The default location of an open documents ’Title’ is now displayed in the centre of the Toolbar as you have found.
However my self, I find it now all too easy to move the whole window around with this new arrangement.
Click hold on any empty space in the Toolbar and you can drag it around.
But also on macOS you can do a click hold in the top 50% of any of the icons in the Toolbar without activating them and drag the window around. I’m still hoping this is a bug and not “by design”.
Using my pen, this just means that the window often ends up twitching around the screen as I activate buttons up there, unless I remember to only aim for jsut the bottom 50% of a button, which isn’t a big target area to hit!

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Markw,

The default location of an open documents ’Title’ is now displayed in the centre of the Toolbar as you have found.

i’m not so much worried about the title word itself. It’s more to do with the 1cm (ish) strip that should be present at the top of each window, I think it’s traditionally been called a title bar.

It seems that you have the opposite problem, moving a window around when you are trying to use tools. I think I have a solution: Please Affinity separate the toolbar and title bar and don’t try to merge them together, or at least have an option in the preferences so those who prefer keeping a separate title bar, can re-introduce it. 🙂

Fde101,

Ah, so it’s something Apple did in their OS 😏. Although a lot of the apps I use within Mojave still retain a clear area at the top of the window to allow it to be moved. As GUI design experts that pioneered a window based interface, I’m surprised Apple don’t understand the purpose / importance of that bar, they seem to be one of the worse culprits for filling it with tools etc (Safari).

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Ah, so it’s something Apple did in their OS 😏.

No, it is something Serif did with their apps, but it only applies when on Mojave or newer.  Not sure why they did it at all or why it is only there on the newer versions - Maybe Apple added something to their APIs to make it possible to implement it for the newer versions that wasn't there on the older ones?

In any case, it is mostly a misfeature, but it does have the small advantage of saving on some screen space for laptop users, which I suspect is why they opted to do this.  It would have been nice to have a preference to turn it off though.