You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A. Designer freezes when you click on document setup!

zando

Nothing has worked so far. Frustrating! It was the same with the previous update,but at least it worked on brand new created files, now nothing works now. You set your new document and if you want to amend something and click on document setup the program freezes. If you have older file it does the same thing! How do I go around this continuous issue.

TX,

Katie

• Staff

Hi Katie,

Can you tell me a bit about the system you're running Affinity on please? If you can reply to the following that would be super!

1. What version of Windows (press the Windows key on your keyboard and type winver then hit Enter and it should tell you the exact version
  2. What graphics card do you have? Is it an Nvidia, AMD or Intel? Can you also tell me the driver version for it? We often recommend uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it—not simply updating it
  3. Where have you installed Affinity to? 
  4. Could you attach a log file for me please? Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard and type %appdata% and go to Affinity\Designer\1.0\ and attach Log.txt
  5. Whilst you are in there, can you see if you have any crash reports in CrashReports\reports and attach them

Thanks!

thank you for your quick response. Here are the details you asked for:

W10 – version 1909 (OS Build 18363.1016)

AMD Radeon R5 Graphics

Driver 21.19.512.0

Affinity is installed on a Lenovo ldeapad 310 laptop 12GB RAM

Crash reports are from previous versions, no new ones yet as the software freezes only. Have to exit with Task Manager

Interestingly, the new version of Designer 1.8.5 would freeze when opening even simplest .eps files . The same files I have been able to open with the previous version

Many thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Sorry I've just moved house and returned today. 

Can you try performing a soft reset on the app? Please hold down Ctrl whilst launching Affinity and then click Clear when prompted. 

So new documents and eps files freeze? What about a simple jpeg?

Hello Chris,

I have tried the soft reset and it did not fix the problem. 

This problem started with the last update that we installed. It worked perfectly with the previous updates. 

There are other issues which cropped up with the last update as well , for example - in designs containing multiple texts, no matter which text you would like to select, the selection goes to the first text line in the layer structure; Elements combined into groups, you can't select unless you unblock ( previously with several clicks the system would select an individual element from the group, not now)

All files are affected when I try to select "document set up" even brand new empty files. If you try to change a setting once you have created the the document the system will freeze.

I would appreciate your help.

Thank you,

Katie

• Staff

Hi Katie,

It might be worth getting a dump file from you when the app freezes. If you could make it freeze and then go to Task Manager and right-click Affinity > Create dump file we can have a look. It might be quite big so can you please upload it to this Dropbox folder:

https://www.dropbox.com/request/Ws9RMX8Ouu0N3IzczqEv

It might be worth instaling the previous version from here:
https://store.serif.com/en-gb/update/windows/designer/1/

You will need to remove this version first. We need to find out if this is definitely a regression or not. 

• Staff

It looks like the crash is related to ICC profiles. 

On the new document dialog, which profile is shown? Try changing it to sRGB if it isn't already.

We need the Log.txt from you:
- Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard and type %appdata% and go to Affinity\Designer\1.0\ and attach Log.txt

We prepare product packaging designs, and the RGB profile is not supported, and the PDF's are not accepted by the printing companies. Please elaborate if I do not seem to understand what you mean. As I mentioned we had no such issue with the previous versions.

The log.txt file is empty.

Thank you,

Katie

Log.txt

• Staff

Hi Katie,

I was not suggesting you use sRGB for your production, moreso to see if you do not get the freeze. If the freezing is happening with one of your colour profiles and not the default sRGB one, we need to have a look. 

What do you have as the profile here:
image.png

Hello Chris,

My apologies, and thank you for the clarification. The designer did not crash when the colour profile was set to RGB. I was able to access the document setup and change settings as long as I did not try to pick the CMYK profile, once I did that it crashed again. I have uploaded the text file as well.

Log.txt

• Staff

Ah, progress! Is it a custom CMYK profile that you use? If so, would you mind sharing the CMYK profile with us? You can drop it in that Dropbox folder I made for you, here's the link again:
https://www.dropbox.com/request/Ws9RMX8Ouu0N3IzczqEv

Hello Chris,

I use only the profile presets which are provided with designer nothing custom. Coincidentally I noticed that the CMYK profiles were not available  in the document setup - colours tab. I could only change the colour format and then it froze

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

@J.Michael - this does not sound identical if the issue does not happen when using an RGB profile. You said 'Changing color profile on New does not change anything.' unless you mean changing CMYK profile?

There has to be a rogue profile somewhere. If it's not crashing for the majority of users there has to be something specific on your end.

I have 57 profiles installed:
image.png

Please check yours in: C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color

• Staff

Thanks for the lists.

I've looked back at the report that zando attached and I noticed this - 'Skipping blacklisted colour profile: USWebCoatedSWOP.icc' so I wonder if there's a blacklisted profile we aren't skipping and causing the crash. I'm not sure why that is blacklisted either. 

Hi, the swop profile is what is required by the product packaging printers. Can you provide some info as to what to do now or how to resolve this issue. Please note that we have not manipulated these profiles in any way, nor have we installed anything custom. 

• Staff

Okay I've had a chat with a few colleagues and there are some things we'd like you to try.

First of all, can you try the beta:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/126270-affinity-designer-windows-customer-beta-190820/

I'm not sure if your issue is similar to this one but it might be worth checking what Dan suggested here:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/126311-designer-publisher-and-photo-did-not-start-after-win10-update-to-20h2/&do=findComment&comment=692756

Also, can we have your copy of the USWebCoatedSWOP.icc as ours isn't being skipped. 

We may need the entire system colour profile folder. I'll speak with one of the developers too.

• Staff

Can you also screenshot all the tabs in the Windows Colour Management window?

Try setting your monitors colour sspace to sRGB (temporarily)
image.png

And finally, can you go to %AppData%\Affinity\Designer\1.0 (Beta)\profiles\ and give me a copy of the blacklist.txt and then try renaming it so it's not using it.

• Staff

We are convinced that the blacklisted profile is causing this as we've reproduced it. No idea how or why it was blacklisted. If you open the txt file and delete it, it will either re-add it (for some reason) or it should allow you do access Document Setup. I bet the beta will work as it won't have blacklisted the profile yet.

Hello Chris, 

my steps from today:

Downloaded the Beta
changed the Colour Management to sRGB
tested - all works now. The BlackList file is empty. Changed my colour profile back to what it was - still works.  I am attaching my USWebCoatedSWOP.icc in case you care to see it.
Switching to Beta until you release it officially. 

Many thanks, and Happy Halloween!!
Katie 

USWebCoatedSWOP.icc