You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I need help please on how to brand eg. stairs

Hello everybody,

I would like to brand stairs with different graphics, eg. like here:

3.jpg.ad8564cd26b7280815dbb7b00aa591a0.jpgpic06.jpg.23b99510a8f1f720230cad6ec21a9166.jpg

I tried already with the mesh warp tool, as I asked similar topic some time ago here in the forum, but no way to achieve this at all. Even more the stairs are not covered completely, but only the parts where you do not step on.

On the other hand there may seem to be kind of mockup like here:

0031977_stair-cling-set-19e.png.7d976aa8b137b627aee4fc343a67abf6.png

Is anybody having an idea to please help me out? I would be happy about any little hint or help to achieve this.

Millions of thanks in advanced!!

Regards

Kruna

I guess you are talking about previsualizing it, not preparing for print?
The easies way would be to place an Affinity file containing your artwork onto your canvas. You should get away with it without having to distort for perspective, as looking at the stairs from this angle there is almost no distortion of the printed image. After this you should place a mask for a step, duplicate the layer (with the placed artwork and it's mask) and do this for every step. Of course you need to refine masks and position. Should be done in a couple of minutes. The good thing would be - you can change your artwork in the placed Affinity file.

Hello thadeusz,

yes you are totally right, I meant previsualizing and it wont be printed at all.

Well, I really do apologize, but my knowledge in Affinity is close to zero. I would need a step-by-step-instruction in order to understand what you mean (also partly because I am not a native speaker). I know that this is too much asked so pls dont get me wrong therefore. I accept and respect, if you dont have time or muse to do so.

I dont know how to - place a mask, refine mask and position and how can I change my artwork in the placed Affinity file?

Once again, please excuse me for maybe asking the obviuos.

Thanks in advanced.

Regards

Kruna

I don’t have the time to do a video at the moment but I’ve attached an APHOTO document (including History) which shows the steps you can use to do this simply. (This is just one method, there will be others, probably better ones.)
Scroll through the History (open the History Panel via menu “View → Studio → History) from beginning to end to show the steps.
My sample was created very quickly and crudely with very little accuracy (e.g. I totally forgot to do under his arms, and many other omissions) so if you want a better result you need to be much more accurate in how you create the rectangles and mask; not more difficult, just more time.

Annotation 2020-08-26 143439.png

branding-stairs.afphoto

And here as a bonus is a good old fashioned movie - showing the way I've described above. I'm using Affinity Designer, but it works also in the other programs. Sorry for the german UI..
And one extra - if you need to refine the masks you could break them up into a path (from beeing a rectangle).

Hello GarryP,

thank you very much! Wow, that looks great!! I tried it out, but still dont get the mask step done! I will have to keep on trying.

Another thing I noticed is when it comes up to letters (like in the third image). I used your document, the letters also stay in perspective, but they shouldnt or should they?

branding-stairs-1.afphoto

In the third image they kind of 'go with the stairs' vertically. What do I miss?

Thank you.

Thadeutz,

thank you very much too!!! I will definetly give it a try too! It looks so easy, but Im struggeling around! Well, learning by doing!

Btw, actually you dont have to be sorry for the german UI, quite the contrary I am glad about, because mine is german too. Somit kann ich die einzelnen Schritte besser nachvollziehen.

Vielen tausend Dank für die Bemühungen, mir zu helfen.

Gruß Kruna

Thadeutz, excuse me, I would like to ask one more question. How do you create 'your-artwork' (eingebetets Dokument) in Designer?

Quite often I do some previsualizing using mockups created with symbols in AF Designer.

In my stair issue I tried to put the white rectangle in 'my-artwork'  (symbols) made in AF Designer and when I duplicate it, it duplicates the same art, obviously?!

In your case it changes the color etc. What did I do wrong?

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Kruna

First I had created a new document in Designer - with my artwork. Saved it.
Then I placed it inside a new document, where I placed the stairs image before. 
After that I duplicated this layer with mask for each step. To change color or anything in my artwork, I pushed "edit document" (in the upper panel right under menus). My artwork opens and I can make changes.

And yes, this workflow can be done with symbols as well. Maybe even better.