You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

style management

For me, style management is a really fundamental issue, which still prevents me from managing a job in Publisher. The style that activates to a certain glyph or a certain sequence of elements... nested styles, grep styles, or any other shape you can invent to handle the same issue is an essential element. There are no problems for simple texts, as long as you have a title and text with some italics, but it's never that simple. I encourage Affinity to take this approach. It doesn't have to be ghreous or nested style, but to have the same effect. I can't wait to use Publisher without limitations. Unfortunately yesterday for this reason I had to redo a work that became unmanageable and very long without a programmed management of styles. As soon as I can gladly use Affinity programs and I always try to see if I can do what I have in mind with Affinity.

4 hours ago, feste said:

For me, style management is a really fundamental issue, which still prevents me from managing a job in Publisher. The style that activates to a certain glyph or a certain sequence of elements... nested styles, grep styles, or any other shape you can invent to handle the same issue is an essential element. There are no problems for simple texts, as long as you have a title and text with some italics, but it's never that simple. I encourage Affinity to take this approach. It doesn't have to be ghreous or nested style, but to have the same effect. I can't wait to use Publisher without limitations. Unfortunately yesterday for this reason I had to redo a work that became unmanageable and very long without a programmed management of styles. As soon as I can gladly use Affinity programs and I always try to see if I can do what I have in mind with Affinity.

Unless you post examples of where Publishers Styles don't work for you at the moment your post is useless.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

@feste There are missing elements, notably "GREP styles," but there is still a rather extensive style management in place. The Text Style Editor dialog features 20 different sections already, and its function along with the Text Styles Studio is not so very different from the corresponding panels in InDesign.

I suggest it would be better to join existing threads requesting the particular elements that you desire that are not currently implemented, or, if you cannot find a thread for the feature you desire, start a thread for the specific feature or suggestion.

I'm with you, @feste, there are a lot of things missing in the style management. Even the available minimal version of a nested style - "first word(s)" in paragraph attributes - is badly documented. At least you can use a tabulator to define, where the style is changing. I was just settting up a document with around 30 styles, which depend on each other and I feel never confident, that they travel through. Never felt that way with my good old IndesignCS4 by the way. I have the feeling, that erasing all attributes also doesn't apply sometimes. But it's really difficult to describe problems exactly. It feels not ready at the moment, only for light works. Really light works.
Also on the simple side of things, still there is no way of just copying a text and past it's attributes - without the need to create a style. Argh..

6 minutes ago, thadeusz said:

But it's really difficult to describe problems exactly.

In that case how are we to talk about it and offer any assistance or even learn from your experience if things cannot be fleshed out first.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

This is because we are in the "Feature requests and suggestions" section here. Maybe it's a bit problematic, to have everything in one place. I mean there are bug reports, help for beginners, dicussing shortcomings, all here in a wild mix. I see this thread more as a "demand" towards developing a professional tool. I think (and hope) this is recognized by serif, so theay find a good way to speed up things.