You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Removing segments and shapes underneath a complex shape

Hello!  I'm attempting to remove lines and shapes underneath a complex shape but having trouble doing this.  I've been attempting to use the "Divide" command to  remove the overlapping segments and then delete those.  Which is a bit time consuming and I run into problems because "Divide" will close incomplete line segments, which creates weird shapes.

1-3 illustrate what I'm trying to do: Remove everything intersecting in the grey shape but keep the rest.

4th image is my actual artwork which gets complex so I need to do this efficiently.  It also needs to be fully removed (not hidden) because it's on the way to a laser cutter.

5th image is what happens when I "Divide".  As you can see the v line segment on the top left closes into a shape.  And the bottom line looses a section.

Thanks for your help!

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 6.34.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 6.34.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 6.34.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 6.35.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 6.40.53 PM.png

Thanks for your support and replying!  That said, I'm attempting to delete the overlapping areas without it closing any line segments.

So image 1 demonstrates my needed end result:

820062814_ScreenShot2020-08-25at6_34_19PM.png.ad5da211cc80fdde09cd39a552e0be76.png

Image 2 demonstrates the areas in which Designer will fill or remove sections that aren't overlapping with the shape at all.  So no good.

1964320347_ScreenShot2020-08-25at6_40_53PM.png.fc3692a3b5d9ac312cfd43f92154d0c8.png

Image 3 shows how on my artwork this becomes a problem.  As a whole bunch of extra lines are created.

852846345_ScreenShot2020-08-25at5_50.14PMcopy.png.ab3843efc6cde78ecd6c76d36b130be8.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 9.10.00 AM.png

I want to remove all magenta lines and shapes that are within the grey shape.  And keep all the magenta lines that are outside of the grey shape.

Ok, so this gets me closer!  Problem now is that the Expand stroke made my lines not a single path anymore- which I need because it's to be laser cut.  Thank you so much for taking the time to work through this with me.

Thanks!  Yea I wouldn't mind the extra work if this sample was my actual artwork but my art is crazy complex and that will take forever on...

BLP-Prep02bb.thumb.jpg.0282f0ac5b05026c205ae04b506bbfa5.jpg

I essentially have to remove the overlapping areas so a laser cutter won't try and cut it...

From what I remember about discussions on this, the Divide geometry function will always produce closed curves and, unfortunately, there’s nothing we can do about it (at the moment at least).
There have been many requests for some kind of “Trim” functionality but I haven’t heard anything about whether that might be implemented at any point in the future. Same thing goes for a “Shape Building Tool”.
(Note that the ‘line’ at the bottom-right of your sample is actually a closed curve, see attached video. Not sure if this is important but thought I’d mention it.)

Thanks for the input Garry- sounds like I'll have to either import my art into Illustrator (trying to get away from Adobe for good...) or just do a whole whole lot of editing.

Good call on that straight line that's not actually a line!