You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to export a masked group of layers?

Hi, I basically want to export two separate images at the exact dimensions i have created so that I can use the images as slides on instagram and they will blend into eachother perfectly. 

I have created two squares with half of the image on one side and half of the image on the other as attached. 

When I try to export the image normally it includes the invisible mask in the export and you can see that the dimensions are not square in the export box.

In export persona I cannot manually drag the slice tool over the desired are to the precision i need. 

If I go to the layers tab and create a slice from the layer then it will either include the invisible mask (if i select a group layer) or if i select the character by itself it exports it without the dark background. 

Any tips on how I should go about doing this or if I am missing something?

Thanks

Screenshot 2020-08-25 at 23.35.09.png

Screenshot 2020-08-25 at 23.35.32.png

• Staff

Hi BeauL,

If you drag out the 1st slice and get it as close as you can to the needed size, you can then use the Transform Tab to fine tune the size of the slice so it is exactly right.  Then export.  Then repeat for the 2nd slice.

There may be another way to this that im missing but i'm sure someone will post an alternative method if there is one :) 

An alternate is to just split the whole final image (which is ideally sized WxH wise then in dividable splitable numbers) into the desired amount of parts ...

bild1.jpg.eaf1974e8aa63b83c8b6c83ffb95a4ea.jpg

I recall, that I once needed (years ago) for Instagram some split utility, which allowed to quickly cut an image into pieces, in order to show up an image as a tiled wall image there. So I wrote some image split and merge tools for such purposes. - The splitter tool looked like this ...

bild3.jpg.a492013ad8abbc31f1f8ef95a9a9a71b.jpg

... and in your case then ...

beispiel.jpg.073df11993628cddec1314edf7469d66.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2