You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

An accessibility improvement such as a hotkey for the "Protect Alpha" option would cause a great improvement in digital painting workflow as this option is used many times throughout the process of a single digital painting in most techniques. In Photoshop it is possible to assign a hotkey for this as far as I know. In AP the only way to do this is by clicking the button that hides in a dropdown menu (shown on the attached pic) when using Affinity on a laptop (which has smaller screen than desktop monitors - on a big desktop monitor the option is normally showing in the same toolbar).

image.png.1b3408b2c81575725c52286da26e469c.png

There should also be the option to customize the tools in the said context toolbar. When it comes to the brush context toolbar, the customization option would allow me to hide the "Symmetry" and "Mirror" tools since I hardly ever use them and make space on the screen for the "Protect Alpha" tool that I use all the time. I've seen someone on the Affinity Photo forum raise tha case of "Protect Alpha" hiding in a dropdown menu. I believe that the customizable context toolbar would help not only digital painters often needing to toggle "Protect Alpha", but also users across variety of disciplines to improve their workflow in Affinity software.

• 1 year later...

I would really like to push for the ability to assign a hotkey to Protect Alpha, please! :) I toggle it on and off constantly. It's the one thing I'm missing by far the most in my workflow. Every time there is an update it's the thing I hope to see.

Composite Alpha is neat too, but it requires switching to the Channels tab from the Layers tab every time, which just adds an extra step (unless I wanna dock it just for that, but that seems like a patchy workaround, and I'd still have to move the mouse over and click a tiny icon which is the thing I'd like to not have to do anymore)

• 8 months later...