You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adobe work being blacked out in Designer

miaPSU

Hi, I'm having an issue where the logo was created in adobe illustrator but Designer changes the color to all black.  I use apple MacBook Pro 10.15.6.  It's so odd but I do need to get it fixed.  So I am sure it looks right in adobe but not right in affinity. It should have the red arrows etc.  Any help would be great.

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 3.28.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 3.27.29 PM.png

Hi MiaPSU,

It looks as though the issue is realted to the graduations which feature in both the Illustrator created arrows. Can you upload the .ai file so we can take a look?

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

Yeah, my internet is spotty right now (outage in the area) but I will try.  

It's actually happening in both ai and eps files but the eps it turns the arrows to cobwebs.  I will attach both.  I've never run into this and am really confused. I asked someone else using adobe to open the files and they both worked and they sent me screen shots of it working.  

Thank you for your assistance. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 2.52.23 PM.png

BentonVectorAI.eps BentonVectorAI.ai

• Staff

Hi miaPSU,

Unfortunately this behaviour is to be expected partially due to Illustrators exporting of files, the way we import AI files and not having the support for mesh fills.

Illustrator generated EPS files contain two streams of data: The native AI format, and a converted EPS format. Unfortunately we can only read the EPS format, which unfortunately doesn't fully support all of Illustrators features so it has to improvise to get the file looking as expected. In the case of your file it is the Mesh Shading used on the arrows. As EPS doesn't support this mesh shading it has to split the file into different polygons to try and best represent the shading, which unfortunately when imported gives you the 'web' like results you're seeing.

With regards to the AI files, as well as the AI stream of data they also contain a PDF stream which is the part of the file we're able to import. It looks like the  PDF is using Free-Form Gouraud-Shaded Triangle Meshes' on these arrows. Unfortunately Affinity doesn't support any form of mesh fills so it cannot important these as you would expect, which is why you're getting the black arrows.