You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can I create a cut line (for stickers w/bleed and such) in Designer?

58 minutes ago, GaryV said:

Not using any. This is to set a 100% magenta cut line on artwork so places like StickerMule or StickerApp will follow my cut line in the bleed area instead of making one up.

The cutline generally needs to be designated as a spot color that has a specific name. This has always been the case for the work I've sent out. I've never used either of those two places, but I would think/hope they have the information on their respective websites. If not, I would encourage you to send an email to their support channel.

Thanks Mike. The 100% magenta cut line is their spec (StickerApp). They will, of course, automatically generate a cut line and I went that because Aff. Designer seems unable to create a cut line without all sorts of steps and effort. Was easy in Adobe Illustrator, but not (yet) in Aff. apps it appears.

Yes as regards the color. That what I use for the color. But as I mentioned, every place I've sent cut work to still needs it a named spot color (oftentimes named CutContour but sometimes named something else).

The above works in Affinity applications. I've sent one large format job out using AD and fixed a couple people's jobs for them. Never had any problems. 

From StckerApp's website:

How to create your own cutline

1. Open your art in Adobe Illustrator.

2. Create your cutline as a path.

3. Create a swatch as a spot color named "Die Cut" and the color 100% Magenta

Save your file as a PDF or AI and use that to order your custom stickers with. You should see your cutline being read when you upload your file, if not please write a comment so we make sure to use it. 

You can download an exmaple file if you wish to use the eye dropper to create your swatch correctly in Adobe Illustrator. You can also save this swatch to your library for future use.

The above does/should work fine in Affinity applications.

2 hours ago, MikeW said:

You can download an exmaple file

Methinks StickerApp needs a proofreader! ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

No, the named spot color indicates where the cutter cuts. The cutting is agnostic as to where it cuts.

But yes, offsetting and/or creation within a bled object is up to the creator of the art and having an easy means of accomplishing that cut line is an important factor in an efficient workflow. 

59 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

I know - now then create an decent offset in AD.

Around what? Something of my choosing?

Even if one needs to, they can simply draw the path. Is that as efficient as various other applications that can do so in a more automated way? Nope. But it is doable. 

Save the document. duplicate the saved document.

Would this work?
Duplicate the art. Using the duplicate create a compound, size the stroke to the offset you want and expand stroke, geometry divide and delete the internal curve, flip the fill to the stroke and colour accordingly.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

7 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Save the document. duplicate the saved document.

Would this work?
Duplicate the art. Using the duplicate create a compound, size the stroke to the offset you want and expand stroke, geometry divide and delete the internal curve, flip the fill to the stroke and colour accordingly.

Yes, that can work out well. I showed someone here a long time ago how to do it. But, it can also turn out to be more work than simply drawing the cut path.