You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Which file format in LR works best with Affinity Photo - NEF or DNG?

I'm just about to start moving my DAM to LR and there are some who are suggesting I convert my NEF files to DNG in the process. Others suggest there are reasons not to (image info different after conversion somehow, but I'm not sure if that's heresay or actuality).

I am going to be using Affinity Photo as my final editor of choice but would like to know from others here who are using LR for their DAM if it makes a difference if the LR files are NEF or DNG. 

If it doesn't make a difference I'd probably leave them in NEF as I'm leary about conversion and its potential for file changes.

I thought this would be a fairly easy answer as I know there must be many Nikon Raw shooters out there. Did you leave your photos in NEF or convert to DNG and whether it was one or the other did it make a difference in how they were accepted by Affinity Photo?

Hi Pondball. I use LR and have used it since its beta days. I've imported NEF and ORF (Olympus) into LR. I have also converted some of those files into DNG. I have seen no difference. I am one of those who falls into the convert it to DNG category. Contrary to what many think, DNG is (as far as I can tell) an open source standard.

Here's the Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Negative

This article seems to be the most objective I've found. Whether to convert or not is almost a religious debate.  It depends on what you believe.

I've had no problems. Best of luck :)

Ooops. Forgot. AP has had no problems with NEF, ORF or DNG files that I imported.

MelG

If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you. - Oscar Wilde