You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

E Commerce Product photography jagged edges

I've spent a lot of time researching and learning how to use affinity photo for product photography, specifically with a white paper background and mostly sheet metal fabricated auto parts. This could be comparible to photographing jewelry. It seems there are so many different ways for me to remove the background, or adjust the background to be a true white that blends in with a webpage, but no matter how much selection refining I do, smoothing, feathering, matte, etc. the edges of the product where the pixel selection is taken look jagged. Any tips? I have also tried all the snapping options, currently just using key points and object geometry.

For selection I have tried brush, flood, pen, node, etc. I use a range of those depending on what it is i'm editing. I have tried feathering and adding contrast, I have tried just developing raw photos without selecting the background. I've watched and read everything I can find regarding selection and layers. Haven't had luck with 'remove white paper".

Looking for tips.

Also, what's the preferred workflow for this type of work? I'd love to see a video.

IMG_9864_11.afphoto

Best I can do is go into Develop Persona, set a Location from the Info Panel, adjust the White Balance to get as close to white as possible (#fff6ff), Develop, add a curves adjustment layer and adjust until the Location readout just hits #ffffff. You may get a similar result using a Colour Balance adjustment instead of Develop but I've only just thought of that

Photographing shiny stuff like this is as difficult as it gets, the only way I can get a proper white background is to place the items on a translucent table and give it a belt with a studio flash from below. It ain't easy

If you need to cut items out then I would recommend photographing them individually, sometimes it's easier against a black background

WhiteBalance.jpg

WhiteBalance2.png

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

• 3 months later...

Doing lots of product photography. There is no way to make the background white without any jagged edges. To do it right you need to work with paths and path every single item and later replace the background as a complete white background. I can tell you how to do it in PS, still on my journey to make it happened in AP. If anyone has a good workflow please let me know.

Best