You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

So a few days ago I purchased a Gaomon tablet, a nice bit of kit if I may say.
I got to work with it, trying new techniques and methods. The first few strokes with the brush tool work fine, nice and responsive but after about a dozen strokes there is a lag that gets worst and worst until it becomes unusable.
I have to lay back and thing of England for a while before it catches up and that puts a dampener on my artwork mojo.
I have done the latest driver and fiddled with the settings and read up on the usual channels but this is annoying.

Any suggestions?

Another annoying thing is that I can´t get a clean and precise stroke like you would with a pencil or a brush, it lags and jitters and looks like something a two year old would paint with finger paints.

Grrr!

Are you on Windows? Did you download 1.8.5 and go into Preferences -> Tools -> Tablet Input Method to change the tablet input? They just changed it so that Low Input (old WinTab behaviour that Affinity has always had) is the default setting. If you use a decent tablet with a computer and OS that can support Windows Ink or High Input (better precision WinTab that got added in 1.8), you should try those settings and see if that improves your situation.

Hi Slammer. Seems your not running on a current version of the OS Mac system. Your what, two versions back which might have a bearing on compatibility with this particular tablet make. I’ve never heard of this Gaomon tablet so did you research compatibility before purchasing? I’m assuming because it works, kind of, that it is compatible. Could be a number of reasons such as speed of system, not enough RAM or maybe too many apps open at same time. Did this tablet come with the latest drivers, check to see on the tablet website if you are up to date.

12 hours ago, Raymondo said:

Hi Slammer. Seems your not running on a current version of the OS Mac system. Your what, two versions back which might have a bearing on compatibility with this particular tablet make. I’ve never heard of this Gaomon tablet so did you research compatibility before purchasing? I’m assuming because it works, kind of, that it is compatible. Could be a number of reasons such as speed of system, not enough RAM or maybe too many apps open at same time. Did this tablet come with the latest drivers, check to see on the tablet website if you are up to date.

High SIerra is the latest OS I can deploy on my 2012 mac mini, I recently gave it a SSD HD and now the performance at least is what I would expect.
I have found that activating the integrated GPU in settings and performance is giving me the results I was looking for, actually I am quite happy now.

However this is the first time I have used a tablet for over 25 years and I am still learning how to use it properly. 

9 minutes ago, Slammer said:

High SIerra is the latest OS I can deploy on my 2012 mac mini ...

According to the MacTracker app, a "Mac Mini (Late 2012)" model can run up to the latest release of macOS, which would be Catalina.

Apple's https://support.apple.com/kb/SP803 support article says the same thing.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 hours ago, R C-R said:

According to the MacTracker app, a "Mac Mini (Late 2012)" model can run up to the latest release of macOS, which would be Catalina.

Apple's https://support.apple.com/kb/SP803 support article says the same thing.

I had tried to deploy catalina a while back but the install ran into hardware compatibility issues, I have however just read from your post that there is a catalina install patch for older models from 2012 and newer, however my mini is a 2011 model that I bought in early 2012.

I suppose it could be done as the hardware is the same, however you have to use the patch, which means you are forcing the SW to run on a system it doesn´t want to and as the Apple doesn´t have a great track record with compatibility patches I think I´ll run HS until mounting issues force me to upgrade the hardware to a newer model.
On a side note I find the mac mini more than adequate and I think that the only replacement for a mac mini is another mac mini, however at 900 respectively 1250 Euros for the larger one it may be time to look at a DOS-box.

Careful if ever do go to catalina!! Make sure your software is fully 64bit compatible otherwise it won’t work. Adobe CS6 if you look says on the Mac list shows the Adobe software as 64bit except I think for InDesign. However, this is misleading as CS6 will not run in Catalina , period! So you would need to subscribe to Adobe’s creative suite. Still, if you have solved your issue, great, I just thought it might be worth bringing it to your attention if you were not already aware.