You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi!

Im new for Affinity, but I like it! :)

Could you help me and write a workflow, how to make a chroma green effect?

I have a picture where stand somebody before a green background and I want to set this person without the green background into an other (street) picture.  

- How to prepare the workplace/layers?

- How to remove very quick and accurate the green background?

- How to merge the pictures together?

- How to scale the object (person) perfectly into the background (street)

- How to masking the edges of the picture to make a natural look?

Thank you!

Peter

• Staff

Hi Madmax45,

Welcome to the forums :),

To get rid of the green background I would use the Flood Erase Tool. This can be accessed by holding left click on the Erase tool and selecting it from the fly out menu. Once you have Flood Erased the background you may notice there is a little green left around the person or object that was on your green screen. To get rid of this left over green I would use the Defringe tool. This can be accessed by going to Filters > Colours > Defringe. With the Defringe window open you will want to click part of the left over green screen and adjust the sliders until it is no longer visible. Once that has been done your green screen will have been fully removed leaving just whatever was in front of the green screen behind. You can then copy and paste the object into a new picture or file. If you are still unsure attach one of your green screen images to this post and I will try and make a video for you :)

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• Staff

Hi Madmax45,

The different gradients on the green screen made this a lot more difficult as it is not a solid green. I have made a video using tools not covered in my above instructions as it made it easier with the type of green screen used. I have also included our official tutorials that go over the different tools I used as they are a lot better than the video I have made  :lol:.

Selection tool tutorials

<-  This tutorial is more of a general how to but it covers exactly what you are doing.

My video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wg8fcbilylttn7g/Girl%20on%20bridge.mov?dl=0

I hope this helps :)

C

• Staff

Hi Callum!

Thanks for your great job! I"ve lot to learn, but the great videos will help me!

Have a nice day!

Peter

Looks great! If you have any more questions don't be afraid to ask :)

C

I've many questions:

- How possible to straighten the pics without to see the turned background (like in OS X  "Photos")

- How possible to get and integrate some analog film simulations plug-in? (I have DXO5 Film Pack but Nik Collection is interesting too)

- I tried to adjust the girl on the bridge. How to avoid to change the bridge layer?(I locked that layer but its changing) see pic below

- Are there frames, scratches, textures, light leaks in the Affinity?

- Possible to adjust fine or micro contrast?

- Possible to make batch editing? (To use a same preset for more pics?)

Thanks a lot! :-)

post-17038-0-51809600-1439910306_thumb.png

• 10 months later...

Hi, sorry to dig up an old topic ( found it on google ), but I tried to do this but the defring tool did nothing for me.

Here are the images I'm working with. The t.png is the final result example I would like, except more realistic. Another issue was, I did not know how to change the colour levels on the person only, rather than the image a sa whole, maybe put them in folders?

post-13714-0-71535000-1466599069_thumb.jpg

post-13714-0-61018400-1466599079_thumb.jpg

post-13714-0-91705900-1466599090_thumb.png

• 10 months later...

Hi, sorry to dig up an old topic ( found it on google ), but I tried to do this but the defring tool did nothing for me.

Here are the images I'm working with. The t.png is the final result example I would like, except more realistic. Another issue was, I did not know how to change the colour levels on the person only, rather than the image a sa whole, maybe put them in folders?

I ran into the same issue. This method worked faster than using the selection brush, but it's not as quick as using a dedicated program such as PhotoKey 8. This software is $299; where as we already have the Flood Erase Tool.