You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo V 1.8.5 - Develop Persona Brush Overlay

In Develop Persona, Overlay:

1. Click on Brush Overlay icon.

2. Set brush size to 307.1, Hardness 50%, Checked Edge Aware.

3. Using the brush made a stroke on the image moving left to right on the area I wanted to affect.

Result: Stroke appeared in another part of the image as a vertical stroke.  

Once I saw this happened I tried again to make a vertical stroke and sure enough the stroke appeared on another part of the image as a horizontal stroke. Did further test and sometimes the stroke does not appear at all. It all depends on where you are in the image as to whether the stroke appears or not.  In any case the area actually painted over is no where near the area of your brush stroke.

Windows 10  Version 2004  OS Build 19041.450

• Staff

Have you got any unusual mapping (portrait tablet and landscape monitor)? Is it fine if you use your mouse?

Can you try this? 

Close Photo. Navigate to %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\ and rename 1.0 to 1.0.backup. Reopen Photo

44 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

@MarvinR, can you just check your Tablet Input Mode in Preferences? What is that set to?

Tablet Input Mode is Low Precision

Added: Mark, please see my response to Gabe immediately below.

Peace

Marvin

Edited by MarvinR
Updated Information

7 hours ago, Gabe said:

Have you got any unusual mapping (portrait tablet and landscape monitor)? Is it fine if you use your mouse?

Can you try this? 

Close Photo. Navigate to %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\ and rename 1.0 to 1.0.backup. Reopen Photo

When I followed your directions for the "Can you try this?" I was able to use both the tablet pen and the mouse and everything worked as it should on the same file I experienced the problem with yesterday.  I have no unusual mapping set.  And, the Tablet Input Mode is Low Precision.  

After I ran the test with the pen and the mouse and everything worked fine, I went back and renamed 1.0 to 1.0.goodtest and renamed 1.0.backup to 1.0.  I reran the test again on the same file using both the pen and the mouse and again everything worked fine.  

Gabe and Mark, I really don't know what cause the situation but everything with Affinity Photo 1.8.5 appears to be fine.  The problem must have been some conflict on my end.  My apologies for taking your time away from other things. 

Peace

Marvin

6 hours ago, Chris J said:

Hi @MarvinR

Is it possible you had rotated the canvas using the toolbar button? As there was a known bug with it drawing in the wrong plane once rotated.

Many Thanks

Chris

No, I didn't rotate the canvas. I had only made some standard edits on the Basic tab and Lens tab.  After reading your post I went back to the same file  made some changes on the Basic tab settings and the Lens tab settings.  In fact on the Lens tab settings I even tried settings beyond what I did previously.  Still everything on the Display tab worked fine and without error. I can only assume that there was a glitch in my system or I did something and failed to realize it. But, both yesterday and today I cannot repeat the problem. If it occurs again and I can repeat it then I will add to this post. But, at this point I feel what ever the problem was I experienced was not a problem generated by Affinity Photo.  

I do appreciate the responsive support received. 

Peace

Marvin

• 1 year later...

Hello, 

I work with Affinity Photo v.1.10.1. and MacBook Air M1 chip running Big Sur v.11.6. and have the same problem. However I have noticed that (when in Develop Persona) if I make some lens corrections first and then use the brush tool, then the issue appears. And if I use the brush tool first and then make some lens corrections, then the brush tool works fine. 

I  hope someone read this and help me out :) It is kind of annoying... 

Sorry for my English. I use Affinity Photo in German so some words might be wrong... 

Thank you!