You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

KAW -- new work done in Designer

CartoonMike

Had an idea for a T-shirt design. I guess it could also be used for a cloisonné (sp?) pin or button. I my wife suggested the use of the Raven (due to it's role in folklore and myth) as the main focal point.

What I discovered is that I can drag from the browser window to the Affinity Designer window graphics to use as reference. Sure is easier than downloading them and then placing them. Also shout-out to Pure Ref (pureref.com) for an amazing "digital corkboard" where I can put pix on for reference and have that window float above all other windows. Cool little app. Mac and Windows versions, btw.

KAW T-shirt design finished.png

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

I have a few suggestions:
1. The text, especially that at the bottom, seems too near the outside edge of the white circle. Maybe bring it a little bit more towards the inside.
2. The “K” in “Kick” and the “N” in “Women” don’t seem to be aligned. Maybe jiggle the text round the circle a bit.
3. The raven is depicted as standing on something but it’s not standing on anything and that looks a bit odd to me. Maybe create a basic rock/branch (just a slightly wobbly shape, doesn’t have to be fancy) for it to stand on, or make it larger so the feet are hidden behind the white circle.
4. The raven is quite detailed and small for something which could be on a button/badge. Imagine looking at it on a 1-inch-diameter (or smaller) button/badge from a few feet away – zoom your image down to actual size and then stand some distance away from your screen. Is there some way you could make it less detailed while making it larger but also keeping it recognisable? This also holds for a T-shirt design which is larger but you might want people from much further away to be able to see what it is.

@GarryP -- thanks for the suggestions. I agree with all of them now that I can "see" it via your perceptions. Going to work on the modifications and may have the revised Raven up soonish.

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

Here's the revised art. Will work a bit on the text over the weekend, as what's there is more-or-less a placeholder.

Really simplified the wing. Bad habit of mine is to do excessive noodling when I need to be simple and bold. I like it the way it is now.

KAW T-shirt design 200828.png

---