You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resize an image to a fixed maximum size

John Rostron

I had posted a revised a set of macros to resize an image to a fixed maximum size, whilst preserving the aspect ratio. Recently I have been creating macros that resize an image to fit in a frame of a specific size, in this example 3000 by 2000, see here. Resizing to a fixed maximum is essentially the same as fitting the image into a square frame.

After some suggestions, especially  from @anon2 and @Lagarto, I realised that a simple batch job would do what was required without using macros. For a fixed maximum, enter this value in both the W and H fields of the Batch Job. Even if there is only a single file to process, this is probably simpler than calling a macro (after you have called up View > Studio > Macro or Library and dismissed them afterwards). This also has the advantage that you can specify the target file location and type.

One snag I have noticed is a certain loss of sharpness after the resizing. This could be resolved by including a macro to apply a light sharpen as part of the batch job. I am unsure, however in what order the resizing and the macro are applied. It would make a big difference!

Note that this simple solution will not work should you want to resize your image to a specific minimum size.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

1 hour ago, John Rostron said:

I am unsure, however in what order the resizing and the macro are applied. It would make a big difference!

I have just tried applying a sharpening macro to a Batch Job and it does have the desired effect.

I have also tried it on a batch of files to resize to a fixed maximum and to a fixed frame size. Both work well, with and without a sharpening macro.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630