You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

After having difficulty with my original downloads being lost and corrupted , I re-downloaded my pages in JPG to my desktop thinking that EVERY DAMN PROGRAM IN THE WORLD CAN OPEN ONE.

Not so! Why can't Affinity Publisher open a simple JPG from the desktop? Seems like a pretty simple task. I have spent days with publisher because of my original files being screwed up. I got zero assist

in trying to fix my original pages down load. How about a simple solution to the jpg problem.

Thanks

norm

If I drag a JPG-file on the Publisher-Icon on my Windows-Desktop it opens. I find this is the simplest method to open a jpg-file. Maybe you should tell us how you are trying to open that jpg-file, or provide a screenshot or a short capture-video. You could also upload the file so others can prove that the file isn't corrupted.

Besides that, there is no need to yell and not every program in the world can open a jpg-file.

1 hour ago, namron006 said:

After having difficulty with my original downloads being lost and corrupted , I re-downloaded my pages in JPG to my desktop thinking that EVERY DAMN PROGRAM IN THE WORLD CAN OPEN ONE.

Not so! Why can't Affinity Publisher open a simple JPG from the desktop? Seems like a pretty simple task. I have spent days with publisher because of my original files being screwed up. I got zero assist

in trying to fix my original pages down load. How about a simple solution to the jpg problem.

Thanks

norm

Why should Publisher be able to open JPEG? Publisher is layout app.

You can sure place a JPEG file to a layout. That is what Publisher is made for, placing images and text to layout.

For some reason you CAN open JPEG to Publisher via drag&drop but I am not sure what is the use of this.

1 hour ago, Fixx said:

You can sure place a JPEG file to a layout. That is what Publisher is made for, placing images and text to layout.

For some reason you CAN open JPEG to Publisher via drag&drop but I am not sure what is the use of this.

Just tried it myself and was surprised it actually worked. I am on a Mac. 

Like you I have no idea why this is an option in Publisher as it is not a photo editing app. Indesign works as you would expect it to work, you can place the jpeg in an open document but you cannot open the jpeg by just dragging it on to the Indesign app. 

The simple solution to jpegs is open them with Photos for editing. Place them in Publisher for page layout. 

1 hour ago, Fixx said:

Publisher can also be used to create single page flyers and posters.

Starting with a JPG as the background for the flyer/poster seems a perfectly acceptable way to do the design, especially if the image has already been created and sized appropriately beforehand

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On Windows, you can also use File > Open and then:

• Type *.jpg in the filename box and press enter. Windows will then show you jpg files, rather than the document files that Publisher initially asked for.
    or
  • Start typing a filename, and Windows will show you the matching files, of whatever type.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

On Windows, you can also use File > Open and then:

• Type *.jpg in the filename box and press enter. Windows will then show you jpg files, rather than the document files that Publisher initially asked for.
    or
  • Start typing a filename, and Windows will show you the matching files, of whatever type.

On Macs, you can type "jpg" or "tiff" or the like into the search field in Finder windows to show just that filetype, but in Affinity Publisher's File > Open window that won't work -- it filters out all the raster image formats.

But aside from dragging these file types onto Affinity Publisher's Dock or Application icon to open them, you can also right-click on one in a Finder window & choose any of the Affinity apps from the popup 'Open with ...' menu.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

OK, I have downloaded all my files again, into Publisher and all looked good. Ready to send to Amazon KDP. I shut down the computer for the night and was ready to complete by uploading the files. Surprise, upon opening the file, the same problem that I had before. The file (image) in the main spread screen was pixilated. Has anyone a solution to this problem?  Every thing looked good until I reopened the file, but I had shut the computer down  twice before and Publisher reloaded the files without a problem. Anyone ?

OK, I have downloaded all my files again, into Publisher and all looked good. Ready to send to Amazon KDP. I shut down the computer for the night and was ready to complete by uploading the files. Surprise, upon opening the file, the same problem that I had before. The file (image) in the main spread screen was pixilated. Has anyone a solution to this problem?  Every thing looked good until I reopened the file, but I had shut the computer down  twice before and Publisher reloaded the files without a problem. Anyone ?

On 8/24/2020 at 3:17 PM, carl123 said:

Publisher can also be used to create single page flyers and posters.

Starting with a JPG as the background for the flyer/poster seems a perfectly acceptable way to do the design, especially if the image has already been created and sized appropriately beforehand

Yes, you create a document with right specs and PLACE the JPEG. No need to open the JPEG.

27 minutes ago, namron006 said:

Every thing looked good until I reopened the file, but I had shut the computer down  twice before and Publisher reloaded the files without a problem.

Did you get any messages indicating that Linked Resources were missing or modified?

From you description of the appearance of the images, it sounds like they not be accessible any more. For example, if they're on a network attached drive then possibly the drive is no longer connected, or perhaps its address has changed such that Publisher can't find the files. But in that case, you should have gotten a message or prompt giving a way to handle it.

Also, when you say that you shut the computer down for the night, do you mean that you shut it down completely, or put it into sleep mode? Did you close the document? Did you close the Publisher application competely? More details on exactly what you did may help suggest the answer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I sent you a question again but listed everything I did. Yes there was a linked resource missing and I clicked that I wanted them retrieved. That took me to a window showing all my corrected pages. However the

large spread window was still pixelated.

norm