You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fastest way to create brush from selection?

Hello,

I'm currently following this texturing tutorial. He uses Photoshop to create brush presets from selected grass patches, so he can later stamp them randomly across a grass background.

I know you can create image and intensity brushes to stamp custom images, but this involves preparing every single brush on the canvas and export and then reimport it.

Right now I'm putting each grass patch into a layer and later copy a desired patch into a main layer for all final positioned grass patches.

af.jpg.1166e0ee15aad67383a0da98472833ba.jpg

I just wanted to know if there is a better faster way to do this which I haven't found yet.

Thanks!

The only way to create brushes in Affinity is to export as a PNG and then create a brush using the exported PNG’s as the brushes pattern/texture. I hope they change this sooner rather than later.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

You could use the export persona to quickly export all 4 brush shapes to PNG files

Then create a single intensity brush selecting all 4 PNG files

Using that brush will then create a random pattern of each of the 4 shapes, selecting just one PNG "file" at a time.

The brush preview will show you which shape is the next to be painted, so you can decide where on your canvas you want to paint it

If you need a specific shape for a particular area of the canvas which is not the one shown in the brush preview then clicking off canvas will select another random shape

brushes2.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

6 hours ago, firstdefence said:

The only way to create brushes in Affinity is to export as a PNG and then create a brush using the exported PNG’s as the brushes pattern/texture. I hope they change this sooner rather than later.

Thanks, that's what I did. I'm glad that brushes are persistent across projects. Put them all in once and never care again. :)

5 hours ago, carl123 said:

Using that brush will then create a random pattern of each of the 4 shapes, selecting just one PNG "file" at a time.

The brush preview will show you which shape is the next to be painted, so you can decide where on your canvas you want to paint it

If you need a specific shape for a particular area of the canvas which is not the one shown in the brush preview then clicking off canvas will select another random shape

Thanks, that will speed up placement immensely! If I may ask another question:

Is it possible to set the random rotation to a certain range? I would like to limit it like in the image below. In brush settings however it's only possible to have the rotation clockwise and no way to set the initial rotation counter-clockwise.

image.jpeg.80bed166a6b68ba89eb1bf0db2c22d5a.jpeg

Right now I'm using mouse drag rotate but since I have to switch to Resize mode every other second and there are lots of patches to be placed, i's really a pain.