You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apply Paint/Open Additional Image

Hi folks, this is my first posting so please be gentle

Couple of stumbling points, both of which I cannot fathom out and would appreciate some assistance. (I’m running an iPad Pro 2020 11” with latest OS.)

1).  I’m attempting to apply a colour to (paint on) an existing jpeg image but seem to be missing something? All that happens is a “dot” of colour appears at the first point where   the brush is positioned; ie unable to use a brush stroke.

2)   How does one open an additional image as another layer to an existing open image?

Thank you in anticipation.

placed 

Hi and welcome.

Firstly I assume you're talking about Affinity Photo, not Designer on the iPad.

1) I believe the default is the app locks the layer created when it's created from an image. Check in your Layers Studio (Right hand side). The setting to stop this behaviour is in the preferences/defaults you reach from the Home Screen.

2) Photo & Designer are not entirely consistent, so I'm not sure if the "Place"/"Import" menu item is under the Document menu or the (Three dots) Command menu. One of those!

I'm not an 'expert', I'm still learning these apps myself so apologies if I'm not clear. Hope it helps anyway.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

12 hours ago, Focal Point said:

How does one open an additional image as another layer to an existing open image?

In the document menu choose Place Image. Tap and drag on screen. 
If in Photo you will need to rasterise the layer for selecting etc.

12 hours ago, Focal Point said:

I’m attempting to apply a colour to (paint on) an existing jpeg image but seem to be missing something? All that happens is a “dot” of colour appears at the first point where   the brush is positioned; ie unable to use a brush stroke

Could you provide a screen shot showing brush context menu and layer studio.🙂

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Thanks for getting back. Sorry, should have mentioned it is Photo for iPad to which I was referring. In case there was a software glitch, I had reinstalled the App but to no avail.
However, I’ve sorted the Import/Place issue - that was my bad, not paying attention to the excellent tutorials!!!

For the painting problem which I still have, I’ve attached a couple of screenshots for reference.

D56BCCAB-CF8C-46FF-B1D9-380650CF5566.png

6CFB2958-B8DB-4242-A549-5FB9CBBE0507.png

If you tap on the "more" brush illustration (White dot at the Bottom of your screen). What do you see? A screen capture of that will help the folks here help you.

I know, there's lots hidden in all sorts of places. Takes a while to learn this stuff doesn't it.

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

Don’t laugh; I was trying to paint again just now when the brush actually WORKED!  

You guessed - not expecting any luck, I failed to write down the procedure and now I’m back again to “pokin’ and hopin’”.
Here are the default “more” brush settings as requested plus another image.

8F291FA4-78BA-4646-8B6E-34025BCD9095.png

C67DBCEE-5179-4C07-823F-8D999265DDD6.png

385E3070-1750-4714-A71D-2983DF87EE7C.png

93660500-DF6F-45D8-9816-32614D463D78.png

2 hours ago, Focal Point said:

For the painting problem which I still have, I’ve attached a couple of screenshots for reference.

Also, which brush are you using? 
If you create a pixel layer and select a basic brush can you paint lines?

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Perhaps time to resort to recording the screen @Focal Point and posting here for folks to see the issue in action.. from the moment you create the file, through choosing the brush and... uh-ho.

If the movie ends up big megabytes, crunch it down.

Otherwise I fear folks will be drawing a blank here.

A few thoughts (just covering bases here):

I'm assuming you're using an Apple Pencil? Not a third party stylus or your finger.

Also assumed you've tried using your finger if you're using a stylus.

Also assuming you've tried with a completely different unrelated image imported (not just another in the series).. and with no image imported at all?

If not using an Apple Pencil, do you perhaps have Touch for Gestures Only turned on in Settings?

Brilliant. Process of elimination is always the way to fathom these things. Glad it's sorted. Enjoy.