You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I don't have that much time left

rodsal23

Hi guys! I'm just wondering is my art polished enough to sell? 

Well, my 90 day free trial is nearing its end. I only have less than a month left and i feel like I haven't made any progress at all. I love Affinity but I've been tinkering with other software as well so I was not able to spend that much time with Affinity to master its features. But I really want to continue working with it. But I don't have the funds once my free trial expires. So I'm hoping I could come up with something that could help me earn money and buy Affinity license. I hope you guys could help me, give me some advice how i could polish my work and hopefully sell it before my free trial ends. Thanks a lot!

Annotation 2020-08-23 082625.jpg

handds.jpg

You need to figure out who you are selling to and why they would want to buy what you are creating. Does it serve a purpose or is I art? I cant figure out what the graphics are above. Are they informational because if so they are the message is not clear. If it is simply an art piece I personally would not be interested.

If you are learning and wanting to become a graphic designer then google everything about graphic design. Look at famous logos and read the many texts written about why they work. Find out about typography (type design), editorial layout (magazines) , informational graphics (signage), web design, app design etc.

Affinity and Photoshop etc are just tools. They won't make you a good designer they just help you create your vision. Knowing how to use your tools will make things easier not better. Knowledge makes your work better.

If you want to master Affinity find some graphic that you like and try to recreate it. This will give you some boundaries (i.e. it needs to look like this) and will, if needs be, force you to investigate the tools a little more in depth to get things looking correctly. Its a bit more of a challenge than creating your own work and helps you learn your tools faster. Tutorial videos help too. ;)

:)

Is it better to be a jack of all trades or a master of one?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi, rodsal23,

What's your market like? Where I live, it used to be pretty easy to get work designing T-shirts and vinyl signage w. base level skills. But professional work usually required having a portfolio showing about 4 years of work. And, often, at least 2 years of college level graphic design. I understand there was a market at least just a few years ago for CD covers. My elder daughter and her husband use CG all the time to develop tattoo designs for their clients. The clients often change their minds, so be quick to adapt is good.

But most clients are like that. "Yes, yesterday I said that design was OK, but can you change it this way and be ready to go later in the day?"

Maybe your question should be more like "Am I adept enough to change a polished design in 2 hours?"

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

15 hours ago, rodsal23 said:

I've been trying to learn everything now it seems like I'm going to end up with nothing.

Annotation 2020-08-23 172216.jpg

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Get rid of the multi colours, use single solid colours, red, green, blue etc Create sets i.e a set of green finger counting hands, a set of blue finger counting hands. 

What are these images going to be used as… Icons, general images? some things don’t look good when scaled down, they lose detail so the simpler they can be the better, strokes may vanish so keep the design simple and defined and test by looking at the objects at 100% zoom

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Don´t think you will be able to compete in a market where you will at best be a little fish in a big sea, and then it´s a case of having the right artwork at the right time with the right people.

Even great artists have difficulty going head to head with so-called "artist pool websites"
It maybe an idea to look at "Design Crowd" on facebook for an insite on what is hot and sellable at the moment.

Apologies if this is going to read as being candidly blunt but shopping around for a tool in order to generate a preconceived level of income within a limited trial licence timeframe, is more than likely a recipe for failure. Because at a glance, that divers software selection, in my opinion evokes a sense of chaotic disarray, essentially without direction. So regardless of an eventual choice, whether 2D or 3D, in today's over saturated marketplace, it's going to be tough either way.

For context I'm new too vector content creation, my first 'realistic drawing' had taken 2 months to complete and the second has currently raked up three times that spent on it, with still at minimum of another month until finally calling "done" although I've worked freelance in both traditional figurative portraiture alongside automotive e-commerce 3D visualization, enabling quite a number of years to arrive at some level of proficiency to do so.

Any way, I'd suggest choose the medium/discipline which most excites or indeed passionate about, then drill down deep learning the fundamentals whilst in turn progressing through time and effort invested. I'm afraid there's no quick route toward attaining competency however from personal experience a sought after outcome will typically arise if one perseveres.