You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm creating a book with various stories.  Each story has a title with the same style in order to create a TOC.   But when I insert or update the top, it adds additional lines for pages that don't have the style.  What am I doing wrong?  

Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 12.11.37 PM.png

Without seeing the document this might be difficult to diagnose but I suspect that you may have some empty paragraphs formatted with some styles which are then showing up in the TOC. Try looking at the styles listed in the TOC Panel and setting them OFF one-by-one. Once the ‘spurious’ entries disappear (you might need to refresh the TOC a few times) that might help you find what’s wrong.

I would go to pages 63 and 65 and look for the Paragraph Style (chosen/selected in the ToC panel) in the text frames on those pages. They are most likely simply a return with no text. You will insert the text caret in the first line on Page 63 and then just go down line by line using the keyboard's arrow key. Keep your eye on the Text Styles panel to see the change of Paragraph Style.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

They are most likely simply a return with no text.

I wondered about that, too, but when I tried it the empty (or even blank) lines would not show up in the TOC for me.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I wondered about that, too, but when I tried it the empty (or even blank) lines would not show up in the TOC for me.

Same here on Mac, I really have to try these things out. I think it was happening in a previous version of Publisher.

18 hours ago, LMinter said:

I'm creating a book with various stories.  Each story has a title with the same style in order to create a TOC.   But when I insert or update the top, it adds additional lines for pages that don't have the style.  What am I doing wrong?  

Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 12.11.37 PM.png

Have you tried copying the text in the ToC and pasting it into a new frame and then changing all the text colour? It may be that you have the titles with transparency or white for the text colour. I am grasping at straws here. Also try turning on the invisible characters Text > Show Special Characters to see if there is anything there.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

7 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I am grasping at straws here.

Me, too. Without access to the actual file there's often a lot of guessing involved.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Thank you all for your input.  You helped me find the problem.  From your answers, I got suspicious that every spurious TOC entry had an odd page number, meaning they were all on the right side of the page.   I had set up the Master Page with the Section Name on the right, giving the field the Style needed for the TOC.  When I went back to the Master Page and removed the Style assigned and updated the TOC... voilà.  Perfect!  Again, thank you so much. 

Larry

1903077253_FirstPageofastory.png.3b14aaf9a9c88f2ee451263b44503b11.png9773682_MasterPageA.png.348ed62cfc90b73589cddece5ed296b9.png

Thanks for explaining that; it's one to remember :)

-- Walt
PC: