You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Embedded Profile Query - Color Management

I have a 16-bit RGB document ( see rgb16.jpg ). I've exported this as a PDF with Color Space set to CMYK, Color Profile set to U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2, and Embed ICC Profile checked ( see export.jpg ). When I view the exported file info in XNView MP the color profile is listed as Artifex Software sRGB ICC Color Profile ( see info.jpg ). In Adobe Bridge the color profile of the exported PDF is Untagged.

I find this color profile stuff so confusing, even after so many online articles and videos about color management. Can someone perhaps explain what's happening in this instance, and why the color profile is not listed as CMYK? Hopefully then I can start to get a grip on it. Thanks in advance.

Additionally if anyone can recommend any good books, sites, videos or articles about color management, color spaces, ICC profiles etc that would also be very much appreciated.  

info.JPG

export.JPG

rgb16.JPG

@Lagarto Thanks ! That's great information. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain this for me. I do have Publisher but wasn't using it in this instance. I'll definitely check out the Resource Manager.

I would normally do as you suggested and work in CMYK/8 from the start. The only reason I've altered this workflow is because I'm trying to troubleshoot a separate 'banding' issue with printed gradients ( they look fine on screen ). I was experimenting to see if creating the gradient in 16-bit RGB and converting to CMYK during export would help. I've started a separate thread for that issue :

I spoke with the printer - they said some gradients print better than others but couldn't offer me any further advice, apart from suggesting I remove the gradients altogether, which I would like to avoid if possible.

Anyway, that's a separate issue so I probably shouldn't ramble on about it here ! Thanks again for your time.

I'm currently using a rectangle with a gradient fill. When you suggest using a PNG image source, do you mean I should try exporting my 16-bit RGB vector object/gradient background as a PNG, and then place it back in the original CMYK/8 document as an image object?

OK that's great. Once again thanks for the detailed explanation - I'm so grateful there's folks like you who are willing to take time out of their day to help people like me.

Getting back to the main thread - I understand about color gamuts but you lost me a bit at 'CMYK ramp' - not to worry, I think I understood most of your post. Those articles were very informative. I'm in the process of creating a selection of gradients using different techniques to send to the printer. I already have a fully rasterized version (TIFF) and also one with 2% noise added ( monochromatic, Gaussian ). Interestingly, after your earlier post I exported a PNG version of the gradient from a 16-bit RGB document and it looks great when placed inside the original CMYK/8 file and exported to PDF. I'm going to try one more variation as follows ( I don't really know if or why it would make any difference ) - instead of using a gradient with two color stops, I'm going to use one as a solid background color, and place the second one on top with a gradient from 100% to 0% opacity. 

At the risk of going over board with my gratitude, thanks again !