You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to install the textures that come with the purchase of Affinity designer?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

If you're referring to the Fine Liner Affinity Brushes by The Artifex Forge, and the textures that come with them, the Instructions PDF file tells you how to use them. If you did not download the Instructions, then you can go to https://affinity.store/account/downloads to find them again.

image.png.854a0078270eceeaf8501c4f35c9f125.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, 34"LG Ultra Wide Curved said:

Thanks! However upon doing said action this appeared in the AD software.

That's because Fineliner Broken Lines.afdesign is not an *.afbrushes file. It is an .afdesign file.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, 34"LG Ultra Wide Curved said:

However upon doing said action this appeared in the AD software.

If I remember correctly, the instructions say to Open the file. You're trying to import it as a brush file, which (as R C-R mentioned), it's not.

FIle > Open, or File > Place, or double-click it, etc.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If I remember correctly, the instructions say to Open the file.

They do.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Correctly installed.

I accomplished this with all the help. I may have overlooked the original wording. These brushes are all native now. Question about that import solution offered by Frozen Death Knight (Funny name). As I am Ex-Photoshop user,  regarding brush files to AD. Can AD only accept only files for Affinity Designer or can brush files be used marketed for other software?

Thanks!

8 hours ago, 34"LG Ultra Wide Curved said:

As I am Ex-Photoshop user,  regarding brush files to AD. Can AD only accept only files for Affinity Designer or can brush files be used marketed for other software?

AD can import .abr type Adobe Photoshop brush files. Because they are pixel brushes, they will appear in AD's Pixel Persona. (They also can be imported into Affinity Photo.)

Not all of them will work the same way as in Photoshop -- I have imported some from an old version of Photoshop Elements that apply a base texture that as imported is not correctly centered on the brush, so they leave gaps if I try to use them in Affinity. But at least in my experience, most do work either the same as in Photoshop or close enough to be useful.

Affinity Photo