You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Random Program Crashing 1.8.4

I had a few crashes/freezes in Designer and Publisher but things seem to have quietened down since I adjusted the File Recovery Interval from its default setting down to 60 seconds (so I at least have a backup if a crash occurs). The setting location is as follows:

Edit menu > Preferences > Performance > File Recovery Interval

As you say, it crashes without warning and without the error reporting window which used to appear in the 'Plus' range of products.

I have had a similar type problem this morning after adding a lighting filter, nothing would work but you could click everything if that makes sense. Sadly however when you click the save button it wouldn't save and nothing could be done so the work was lost and I now have to start again sigh!

• Staff

Hi @Loyalty Is Key,

Welcome to the forums :)

In order to investigate this issue, we're going to require some further information. Can you please confirm;

• Are you using Windows or Mac?
  • Does this happen with any document, or only certain ones?
  • Can you reproduce the crash by following certain steps? If so, what steps please?
  • When the app crashes, does it 'hang' and you have to force close it, or does the app close itself?

Many thanks in advance!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

In my case, Dan, I'm using Windows 10.

I couldn't reproduce any of the crashes I had but since reducing the File Recovery Interval to 60 seconds, I've had none so far. Also, since the crashes occurred in both Designer and Publisher, there wasn't a common theme to the procedures causing them.

I had one 'freeze' and may have had to use Task Manager to close the programme, I can't remember. The other problems were when the programme shut down abruptly and in the period between starting it and the first 'autosave' as defined by the original default File Recovery Period.

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know, we've just released version 1.8.5 for Windows to address a few bugs that appeared with version 1.8.4 - nothing specifically has changed in this area but if you could try with the latest version and let me know if you're still seeing this issue then we can investigate further with copies of your crash reports etc :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Having the same issue. Just purchased this morning and installed the latest version. It will force close without an error message after roughly 30 seconds. Changing the interval time did not help me. I am also using Windows 10

@Dan C

Edited by Jen Himmel
tag moderator

• Staff

Hi @Jen Himmel,

Welcome to the forums :)

Can you please provide a screenshot of the error message you're referring to?

Do you know if you have installed version 1.8.4 or 1.8.5? You can find this through Help>About.

Many thanks in advance!

Loading colour profiles
    Monitors
        Name: Generic PnP Monitor
        Adapter: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620
        Primary: Yes
        Has user profile: No
        Profile name: sRGB Color Space Profile.icm

System
        Found 10 system profiles (parsed 10)
        Loading colour profile (system): wsRGB.cdmp
        Loading colour profile (system): wscRGB.cdmp
        Loading colour profile (system): sRGB Color Space Profile.icm
        Loading colour profile (system): RSWOP.icm
        Skipping colour profile (system): Proofing.gmmp
        Skipping colour profile (system): Photo.gmmp
        Skipping colour profile (system): MediaSim.gmmp
        Skipping colour profile (system): Graphics.gmmp
        Skipping colour profile (system): D65.camp
        Skipping colour profile (system): D50.camp
        Found 10 user profiles (parsed 10)
        Loading colour profile (user): wsRGB.cdmp
        Loading colour profile (user): wscRGB.cdmp
        Loading colour profile (user): sRGB Color Space Profile.icm
        Loading colour profile (user): RSWOP.icm
        Skipping colour profile (user): Proofing.gmmp
        Skipping colour profile (user): Photo.gmmp
        Skipping colour profile (user): MediaSim.gmmp
        Skipping colour profile (user): Graphics.gmmp
        Skipping colour profile (user): D65.camp
        Skipping colour profile (user): D50.camp
    Installed
        Loading colour profile: AdobeRGB1998.icc
        Loading colour profile: AppleRGB.icc
        Loading colour profile: CoatedFOGRA27.icc
        Loading colour profile: CoatedFOGRA39.icc
        Loading colour profile: ColorMatchRGB.icc
        Loading colour profile: Display P3.icc
        Loading colour profile: JapanColor2001Coated.icc
        Loading colour profile: JapanColor2001Uncoated.icc
        Loading colour profile: JapanColor2002Newspaper.icc
        Loading colour profile: JapanWebCoated.icc
        Loading colour profile: ROMM RGB.icc
        Loading colour profile: UncoatedFOGRA29.icc
        Loading colour profile: USSheetfedCoated.icc
        Loading colour profile: USSheetfedUncoated.icc
        Loading colour profile: USWebCoatedSWOP.icc
        Loading colour profile: USWebUncoated.icc
        Loading colour profile: WebCoatedFOGRA28.icc
    Imported
    -- 636.1729ms

Revealing hidden directories. One small step forward. The log file you show me above looks waht I get when launching the application. So far so good. My next step would be to have a look in Task Manager wether photo.exe is still a process or has dissapeared. When I have a look at Task Manager (after launching Affinity Photo) I see it in the collection of Apps. See screen shot below:

image.png.cdb917cb87d3599d1708734867e7a83d.png

When Affinity Photo disappears from your screen, is the process still there or not?

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that @Jen Himmel, your log looks normal so we're going to need to check if a crash report is being generated.

Please open Windows Run (Win Key + R) then paste the following string into the box and click OK: 

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\CrashReports\reports

In the window that opens, please select the most recently created .DMP file and attach this to your reply here.

Many thanks in advance!

I've just had several big freezes on a pdf file I opened in Designer.

Delving a bit, it turns out that the pdf was originally created from Autocad and the 'fills' of the various shapes are made up of thousands of lines, each one imported into Designer as a separate layer. No wonder Designer was struggling.

I'm deleting the lines 'longhand' with regular 'Saves' but the ability to select by colour (as requested by others in the past) would be very useful.

• Staff

@Jen Himmel - my sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. Your crash report shows the app crashing when accessing .NET, so I'd like to install the latest version on your PC.

Please visit the below link and download .NET 4.8 framework, install this on your PC, restart and then try launching the app again - does this now load as expected?

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/net48

Many thanks once again :)

• Staff

Thanks for that Jen, I've had another customer report a very similar issue and it appears this may have been caused due to a graphics drawing tablet. Do you have a tablet connected? If so, what make and model please?

I just installed ver:1.85.703 and it just crashes out whenever I try to open a photo to edit. No screen error nothing, just crashes out. Never had a problem before update.
Here are my crash reports. Previous version was brilliant.

4cfadab7-61ec-48f1-885c-160ea64ea008.dmp 51f85d37-3c55-47fd-86cd-44aa2da4ca52.dmp c16c08fb-4020-4f3e-b83e-633ec7319641.dmp

Edited by John Alex
uploaded crash reports

• Staff

Hi @John Alex,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

On 9/5/2020 at 10:02 AM, John Alex said:

it just crashes out whenever I try to open a photo to edit.

This is something we've seen before and is caused by out of date or corrupted graphics card drivers. I suspect if you open the app and navigate to File>New, creating a new document will also crash the app.

Please can you visit the manufactures website for your GPU and download the latest available drivers from here. Please note that installing updates through Windows settings does not install the most up-to-date version of the driver.

During the installation process you may be offered a 'clean installation' - I recommend selecting this option as it will remove any traces of old drivers and ensure the latest is the only available driver.

Once completed, restart your computer and you should find that you're able to open and edit images in Affinity again :)