You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sorry for this title, but I just don't know how to describe..

I have the following problem:

I have a photo which I would like to crop using an oval shape. I did this, using the layers panel to drag the oval shape "inside" the photo layer. Now, how do I move the original layer? I noticed, I made a mistake. How do i reposition the photo, but not the oval shape? I want to reposition the photo inside the oval crop. How do I do this?

See the screenshot for reference. 

post-966-0-33165500-1439839693_thumb.png

Ok, it didn't work. The problem is, that I want to edit both. The oval shape and the photo. If I do it the way yakk explained, I have no control anymore over the oval shape. I want this to be non destructive. I want to edit the oval shape as well as moving around the photo in the oval shape. Is this possible?

Hi,

You can do it this way.

It's all non-destructive.

You can edit the mask shape as well as edit and move the photo.

Cheers :)

Thank you Jakerlund for the video. Now, I would like to pan around the photo within the oval shape mask. 

The problem is, that in some circumstances the mask shape has to stay and I simply would like to move the photo around, but without loosing the ability to edit the shape. This would be like clicking the background layer (in your video) and move it, but the oval shape stays in position.

Maybe something like this could be added to Affinity. If you click twice on the thumbnail, it would just select the background layer an d the rest stays in position. So I could move it without moving the oval mask.

I think I will use the method yakk described. 

Hi WalterBeiter,

I already suggested the ability to select both the parent and child independently clicking on their thumbnails but there's a lot of other features being developed. It may take a while until there's improvements here.

Yep, it will work in my project. No problem. Your roadmap is full, I now. 

• 2 weeks later...