You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Thumbnails, How to Post them

Hello all,

At the risk of sounding ignorant here I have seen lots of “Thumbnails” posted along with questions and examples that I have personally found to be very helpful and self explanatory when viewed.

Question: What exactly is the preferred way to create and post them so we all know how to accomplish this?

I don’t particularly like clicking on something that does a download when you not expecting it so the idea of using “thumbnails” appeals to me and possibly to others as well.

Max

OS X Ventura 13.0.1, Mac Studio M1 Max, 27" Apple Studio Display, 32 GB SSD. Affinity Universal License for 2.0.

Mac User & Programmer since 1985 to date. Author of “SignPost” for vinyl sign cutting.

• Staff

Hi Max,

The process is exactly the same in both cases. If you attach a file that can't be previewed in the browser (for example an .afdesign file), it is displayed as an attached file that you can download. If you attach a file (usually images PNG, JPG, GIF etc) than can be previewed/viewed in the browser it's attached as a thumbnail.

Are you saying that it would be best to use something like “Grap” to select a portion of the display as a saved image then attach that to the post?

The above might allow for selecting a portion of the visible screen, etc, right?

Max

OS X Ventura 13.0.1, Mac Studio M1 Max, 27" Apple Studio Display, 32 GB SSD. Affinity Universal License for 2.0.

Mac User & Programmer since 1985 to date. Author of “SignPost” for vinyl sign cutting.

• Staff

I don't know exactly what you mean by "Grap"...

Anyway, what i do is:

If i need to show something that's on my screen,  i use a program called ScreenFloat (any screen capture program will do, even Mac OSX is able to do it) to capture the screen (or part of it), then i drag that capture to Affinity Designer and add the notes, arrows whatever needed to explain it. Then export it as a JPG or PNG and attach to the post. It will be displayed as a thumbnail.

If it's a regular image of a work i've done, i simply export it from Affinity and post as a regular image attached to the post (it will be displayed as a thumbnail too).

If i need to post a sample file for devs and other users to check, i export as an .afdesign file and attach it to the post (this will be displayed as a file to download to the forum's users).

Hope this helps.

Misspelling on my part. It should have been “Grab” which is a standard Mac application in “Utilities” for doing scene captures.

Thanks for you explanations. That should possible clear things up of others too.

Max

MEB,

I feel like an idiot but I could not figure out how to “attach” and image to a post.

What is the procedure step by step to get the image into a post?

I see an icon names “image” but it is rather vague as to exactly what to do with it.

Any help will be appreciated by me and maybe a few other newbies too.

Max

Thanks MEB,

I knew that I had see a button to attach a graphics at some point and time in the past but never saw it again.

That was the only option I didn’t try. Oh oh, now everybody knows how to do it.

Max