You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Good day,

I’ve just recently purchased Photo largely to use Distress Press by True Grit to rough up some of my images created in Designer. Is there a way I can import what I’ve done in there back into designer as vector files or do I need to use a third party to convert/trace the images as vectors? Thanks.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @MDaley74. :)

I’m afraid you’ll need to use a third-party utility for this. There’s currently no autotrace feature in any of the Affinity apps.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Try Imaengine. The results you get will be very dependent on your source material, but it’s a fairly inexpensive app and you may well find that it suits your purposes.

Alfred spacer.png

43 minutes ago, MDaley74 said:

Thanks, I gave it a try and I’m unable to open any files because of some sort of extension issues.

Perhaps you could explain what you mean by “extension issues”.

45 minutes ago, MDaley74 said:

Will there be any autotrace options in any future Affinity updates?

It looks likely to be in a paid upgrade (i.e. version 2 or later) rather than a free update to version 1.x, so don’t hold your breath!

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, MDaley74 said:

I gave it a try and I’m unable to open any files because of some sort of extension issues.

If you mean "file extension", e.g., .afphoto, then you'll need to Export your document from Photo as a PNG, TIFF, or JPG file. Then the other application should be able to handle it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

Perhaps you could explain what you mean by “extension issues”.

It looks likely to be in a paid upgrade (i.e. version 2 or later) rather than a free update to version 1.x, so don’t hold your breath!

I tried importing via dropbox and it wouldn’t allow me due to extension issues and no further explanation.

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If you mean "file extension", e.g., .afphoto, then you'll need to Export your document from Photo as a PNG, TIFF, or JPG file. Then the other application should be able to handle it.

I saved as TIFF each time with the same result. I got rid of the app in the end because it just didn’t seem all that convenient. I’ll just use my desktop version of Illustrator in the meantime until Affinity hopefully changes that. Thanks for the tips!

16 hours ago, MDaley74 said:

Thanks very much! Is there a third party app you’d suggest?

Vectornator has an Auto trace function to convert image to vector, Also has text outline. I find Designer easier to use overall but probably because I seldom use Vectornator (even though it has many features that are currently missing in Designer.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

4 hours ago, DM1 said:

Vectornator has an Auto trace function to convert image to vector, Also has text outline. I find Designer easier to use overall but probably because I seldom use Vectornator (even though it has many features that are currently missing in Designer.

Depending on what you’re trying to convert, Imaengine might be a better choice than Vectornator. Or possibly a combination of the two.

Alfred spacer.png

10 hours ago, Alfred said:

Imaengine might be a better choice than Vectornator.

I've purchased imaengine to have a play with. Free version didn’t allow saves and it’s not too dear so support developer. An interesting video though.

Edit. Works quite well. The eraser brush for vector (in Vectornator) is useful for quickly editing, in Designer we need to use break node which involves more steps. Imaengine does a much better job of outline than Vectornator. Be nice to see this added to Designer but for now Imaengine then open in Designer offers a reasonably priced workaround.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

On 8/20/2020 at 10:40 PM, Catshill said:

Serif DrawPlus also has an auto trace function.

custom tombstone

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

1 hour ago, Jowday said:

Serif DrawPlus also has an auto trace function.

Not for iPad? Not in Apple store.

7 minutes ago, DM1 said:

Not for iPad? Not in Apple store.

Not for sale. Old, discontinued program by Serif with lots of features (!) but thus not for sale anymore. And it was Windows only.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DrawPlus

custom tombstone

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.