You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I’ve searched around for this. If anyone can point me to where it is, I’d be grateful.

I found a topic discussing node manipulation releases for version 1.7, but couldn’t view the video linked to.

Is this possible in Designer (iPad)?

Hopefully the illustration shows what I’m hoping to do. ( I want to rotate the selected nodes around a distant manually placed anchor.  )

>>> All suggestions welcome and appreciated. Is there an "Affinity way" I’m missing, because I’m in Illustrator mode?

- - - - - - - - - 

I’m pondering alternative ways of creating a rotation centre / anchor. Like adding another temporary shape. I suspect I’ll end up re-constructing it... and yes, I’m expecting to have to tweak the curves, though I’m hoping they’ll not be far out.

Rotate nodes.jpg

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

Have discovered the modifier ( bottom of the screen ) that shows the bounding box and it’s rotation handle.

Not exactly what I was looking for, but perfectly workable when sets of spaced nodes are selected.

When the nodes are close together or singular... adding another temporary curve allows me to do something that avoids redrawing/reconstructing it. (There’s a name for these shapes ... often in 3D software.., but cannot think of it...).

If anyone can see a better way... or.. knows of a tool I’m blind to, that’d be great.

Temporary solution.jpg

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

• Staff

Hi @ProDesigner :)

18 hours ago, ProDesigner said:

Have discovered the modifier ( bottom of the screen ) that shows the bounding box and it’s rotation handle.

Not exactly what I was looking for, but perfectly workable when sets of spaced nodes are selected.

When the nodes are close together or singular... adding another temporary curve allows me to do something that avoids redrawing/reconstructing it. (There’s a name for these shapes ... often in 3D software.., but cannot think of it...).

If anyone can see a better way... or.. knows of a tool I’m blind to, that’d be great.

There is an easier way of achieving this, firstly enable ‘Transform Mode’ (the Square icon you've shown in the above screenshot) and ‘Transform Origin’ (The circular icon directly beneath this) you can then snap the origin to the shape and then rotate around that, as shown in the below screen recording -

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Oh, man!! That's perfect! You star @Dan C. Can you tell I'm made-up with this new learning!

I was convinced there would be an "easier way". There had to be.

I clicked on the circle ("Transform Origin") before, thinking it looked like what I needed. Didn't realise it had to be used in combination with another modifier, so it seemed a bit unyielding.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Attached screenshot for info for any others who come searching here. I've overlaid two stages.

@Dan C's video above shows the origin being snapped to a point/node. It's not the only way.

In my illustration, I dragged the origin (cross-hair thingie) from the bounding box around the nodes I'd selected entirely by eye. Totally adhoc, to where I thought it would produce the desired creative result.... and it worked, brilliantly.

This is what creative, illustration work is about. There isn't always the need to work to anything precise. Sometimes there's also no other node/shape involved.

I could have placed a temporary shape (similar to the video above).. sometimes this can help with identifying centres of things for example. Then snapped the rotation centre to it. Without one, it's much more fluid and adhoc.

I spend a great deal of time trying to ensure the curves in my artwork have an aesthetic that's "right" (to my eye). A lot of refining happens after the initial shape is drawn - I'm very particular about the grace and rhythm of my curves!  ....  ....  .

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks (again) for taking the time @Dan C, always appreciated.

Rotate node result.jpg

A follow-up for anyone happening in here trying to figure out the same thing.

If only a single node is involved... then the bounding box and the opportunity to move an origin are not available...

In that event you have to place a temporary curve around your single node and select both. Then you get a bounding box and the origin becomes available to manipulate.

I’ve been "playing" with the collection of modifiers associated with the node tool in order to properly understand them, since my last reply above. None of the modifiers seem to negate the need for the temporary curve when rotating a single node in order to move its position... I’m perfectly comfy with any of the more knowledgable in here correcting me of course - or explaining an altogether ‘better way’.