You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Guides and Bounding Box Request

My apologies if this has been requested before but I'd like to be able to pull guides out and still be able to see the bounding box. Sorry, my explanation might not be so good but please see the attached screen shot and you'll see what I mean. It shows how I would like for it to be and not how it is now. Now in Designer if I have an object selected, it shows the centers and corners but if I pull a guide out, they don't show up anymore until I release the guide. It would be helpful if I could still see them even when placing guides. I'd like to still be able to see them while I'm dragging a guide so I can hit the center. I know, I can use snapping but I rarely use snapping because it interferes with the way I draw. I'd also like to be able to remove all the guides without having to access the guide manager too. Thanks for considering my requests. I'm very happy overall with how Designer works and I'm looking forward to 1.9! 

Hokusai 

Request.jpg

Are you wanting to snap to the bounding box as you drag the guides? If so use the following settings on Snapping Guides.

1031886655_ScreenShot2020-08-19at8_58_42AM.png.f7790ab16a74ddd4e69480d58b3056e5.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

If you have several objects overlapping, having Snap to Bounding Boxes turned on is of little use when you can't see the bounding box.

For example, what am I snapping to here?:

image.png.2105abd5ee86df1f0f8222ad4d287ea6.png

And by what logic does dragging a Guide out from a Ruler cause the current selection's bounding box to disappear, but doesn't cause other selection indicators to disappear?:

image.png.1d0c62e64f09811a79a8d2709cd89bc7.png

And why don't Guides snap to nodes?

JET

31 minutes ago, JET_Affinity said:

And why don't Guides snap to nodes?

What Snapping options do you have set? My Guides seem to snap to Nodes with these options:

image.png.ec27224234368ac97066989d50e74093.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks. It seems that it was actually Snap to Grid that was making it seem to work for me.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Are you wanting to snap to the bounding box as you drag the guides? If so use the following settings on Snapping Guides.

Old Bruce,

This wouldn't help in my case as I prefer not to use any kind of snapping. It gets in the way of my drawing and unless I'm working with perfect geometric shapes it doesn't work for me but having the center displayed would greatly help me so I can see where the center is. 

Currently the snapping options only really allow you to select what should be snapped to.

An interesting addition might be the ability to select what should be snapped to those things - snap objects to, snap nodes to, snap guides to...

I generally have some kinds of snaps turned on whenever I'm drawing. Snapping to nodes is probably the snapping behavior I most commonly need. So an explicit "Snap To Nodes" would certainly be more clearly-defined and intuitive than "Shape Key Points" or "Object Geometry."

"Object Geometry" is pretty ambiguous. To my mind, important object geometry for snapping and alignment would include V and H extrema (and other tangents) of curved segments.

JET