You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Saving back to PSD doesn't retain Text Layers

Hi Guys, not sure if anyone mention that already or if is just me. Just went through a drama in the office. I open a PSD file, previously made with last version of Photoshop, in PHOTO. Once I saved back to PSD automatically rasterised the all Text Layers. 

Pretty annoying. I tried all the options but I can't figure it out how to keep the layers. Is this a BUG?

Thank you for your help.
BestM

• Staff

Hi marcoborghesi,
We do not support editable text layers when exporting to PSD (only import). PSD is a poorly documented format and when refers to their text engine things are even more complicated. To ensure the document remains the same visually we rasterise all text layers on export.

5 hours ago, marcoborghesi said:

Of Course. Here we go.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/photo/desktop/video/393181188

Going through the video you clearly see that he is working on a PSD with text layers.

Yes, but he did not say they would be text layers when saved back. Probably he should have, when he was talking about the warning for the save-back option, where he warned about Live Filters. Text is another aspect like Live Filters, that will be rasterized when saved back or exported to a PSD. It would have been good to expand the layers in the Layers panel and specifically show that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt. Yes that's the problem. When you look at a video you listen and also you looking. What is not been said you fill the gaps with the video. 

But anyway it is just annoying because I lost one file thinking: 'fab, I can open PSD file and keep the format, whiteout opening photoshop.' It is a shame because It is half true.There are a lot of people the work with text in photoshop and a full compatibility would be just great.

I hope Photo will improve on this metter as well.

M

• 5 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, marcoborghesi said:

Is there a date on a roadmap when this would be implemented?

No. Or, if there is, Serif won't tell us.

The problem is that PSD is a proprietary format, and is only partly documented by Adobe, rather than having complete documentation as it would have if it were a formal standard.

To save the text in an editable format Serif would need to reverse engineer some of the undocumented parts of the PSD format. And even after that they would risk having things break when Adobe changes the format.

So, it's possible, but complicated and risky and they don't seem to have tackled it yet.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

On 9/19/2020 at 9:04 PM, walt.farrell said:

No. Or, if there is, Serif won't tell us.

The problem is that PSD is a proprietary format, and is only partly documented by Adobe, rather than having complete documentation as it would have if it were a formal standard.

To save the text in an editable format Serif would need to reverse engineer some of the undocumented parts of the PSD format. And even after that they would risk having things break when Adobe changes the format.

So, it's possible, but complicated and risky and they don't seem to have tackled it yet.

I would agree/disagree. There are software that does exactly that. I'm not a programmer but considering what there in the market ... it is possible.

1 hour ago, marcoborghesi said:

I would agree/disagree. There are software that does exactly that. I'm not a programmer but considering what there in the market ... it is possible.

I didn't say it was impossible. I said it was complex and risky and involves reverse engineering some undocumented data.

It is up to Serif whether they want to invest that amount of effort, and whether they want to take the risk that Adobe will make further undocumented changes to the PSD format that will break the support, if Serif decides to provide it.

-- Walt
PC: